Thread: Simple Web Research

Simple Web Research

Please forgive me if this question is way too simple for you. Am new at this and trying to research a web page.

When I say want to research a web page, I mean I want to be able to view a list of, and access, ALL files associated with a particular domain name and all subdirectories.

For example if I go to www.hypotheticalpage.com I can click on whatever the web designer wants me to click on. But there may be other subdirectries I do not know of and many more files online there I do not know of.

How can I view a directory list of www.hypotheticalpage.com?

I figured out that there is a subdirectory called "images" so when I type www.hypothetical.com/images, I get an index showing the file structure. That is great, it shows me all of the directories and all files within directories.

Only problem is, how the heck can I get the same useful index view at the root of that domaain, www.hypothetical.com ?

Please help! Thanks.

corysimek@yahoo.com

Elite Hacker
    It all depends on the webserver configuration, and a lot of the time you simply can't get a directory listing by any reasonable means. Let's just say if you get a directory listing either the webmaster wanted you to or you got lucky.

This might sound a little trite, but : Google is your best friend.

If you go to the tutorial index of this site and search for 'Google Searches', it would bring up approx. 5 different tutorials (threads) on how to use google to discover any information of this kind that you might need.

They will show you how to use google to search for specifice words used in the URL's , or to find the locations of cashed pages, and or any related subject. You can even use google to find exploits in different web sites on the net, so it really is a two edged sword and can also be used for darker purposes also.

That would be the best way I know to really explore a site.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thanks! The Google search tutorials are a great place to start.

Will a spidering utility do what you're looking for?

A good one that comes to mind (that will do all the things I think you're looking for) is BlackWidow.

http://www.softbytelabs.com/blackwidow/

Thanks Mykol. The google tutorials were good but would not help me map a particular site the way I wanted to. The link you provide seems like it might do what I need. Thanks again