Windows Key + L doesn't work anymore?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Key + L doesn't work anymore?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Windows Key + L doesn't work anymore?

I've gotten into the habit of locking my XP Pro workstation when I leave it at the school by pressing the Windows Key + L. I recently did some updates as per an admin's request (without SP2; we have SP1) and installed all the serious hotfixes. Now, I can't use this key combination (although I can use CTL+ALT+DEL). I don't want to log off but rather just lock the system.

Anyone seen this before? Any idears?

(Note: I've done a quick google and MS Knowledge Base search but not finding anything specific to this)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi mom!
    Windows-key + L to lock the computer works on Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) for me.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

It used to work on this system as well. I have a system at home -- Win XP Pro with SP1 and all recent critical updates -- and it works there. I've even tried CTL + ESC + L and that doesn't work. So I'm at a loss as to why it stopped working.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Hrmm... Didn't work. It's interesting to note that the Windows key works fine on its own. It seems the combination of the two doesn't. Anyone know if there is a hotkey setting somewhere (control panel)?

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Maybe this http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/549/ ..............see if the hotkey combination is disabled in the rigistary...because in this WinKey works just the Key Combination is disabled.......but CTRL+ALT+DELETE would also should be disabled if this is the case

Your winkey works.. Does your "L" key work on its own?

Your winkey works.. Does your "L" key work on its own?
    While it seems like a dumb comment..ie obvious.. it is possable that there is a keyboard fault.. not a non operative Key.. but perhaps there may be a problem with Keyboard Matrix or the decoder IC.. you may find other combinations don't work or work differently.

It is possable that a solvent a cleaner used (or yourself) may have damaged some of the conductive plastics inside the keyboard..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

but CTRL+ALT+DELETE would also should be disabled if this is the case
    CTL+ALT+DEL work fine.

Does your "L" key work on its own?
    Uh... apparently enough to put an L by itself in the title and put it in this line.

It is possable that a solvent a cleaner used (or yourself) may have damaged some of the conductive plastics inside the keyboard..
    Unlikely since it worked before I applied the hotfixes but didn't work after it.

Sigh. I think I'm going to have to go through those things and figure out what might have moofed something where. Wish I knew which Registry to tackle. Perhaps a visit to the bookstore and a Registry book might help...

Heh I didn't know if you were using the same comp or not