Linux Troubles

Thread: Linux Troubles

Linux Troubles

Hi

Ive Just installed Suse Linux onto my harddrive and have the following questions/queries so if anyone can answer them it would be great.

1.I have a USB Packard Bell CCO-3U wireless optical mouse that i want to use but unfortunatley the computer does not Autodetect it and the driver that came with it is a Windows .exe file. My questions here is a/ is there anywhere i can download a driver to mouse
    B/ Does Linux recognise .EXE files ?

2. I have tried to install my Modem but SUse linux does not autodetect it and when i go into the YAST control centre module i have tried setting the modem device section to ttyS0, and ttyS1,ttyS2 etc but still the modem does not work, any tips ?

3.Do windows applications run on Linux ?

here is a helpful link
    http://www.winehq.com/
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Dead Man Walking
    On the modem issue you might want to investigate as to wheter or not its a windmodem also know as a software modem. Check with the manufacturer. Also check out http://www.linmodems.org/ you might be able to find the answers that you seek. there as well. AS far as the mouse goes try google. It will be your best freind when it comes to hardware solutions on a linux box. There isnt a lot of hardware that people havent teid to connect to a *nix machine and when they are sucsessfull the usualy post about it somewhere.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderfull world of Linux

On the Modem side it is a Winmodem ,

Banned
    Don't use WinCrap. It's for your own good.

As far as the mouse goes, have you enabled USB Human Interface Support in the kernel?

My USB Memory stick is found by the computer so im guessing the kernel is already USB unabled.

Dead Man Walking
    Well as far as the winmodem thing goes just do a little research and see what you can find. It can be pure hell and you may be better off to just spend the 20 to 30 bucks on a new hardware modem. Just my $.02