Thread: go to my PC

go to my PC

the director of MIS here wants to use gotomypc to access his computer on the network using a web browser. i told him i really didn't think it was such a great idea, its supposed to be a secure system but we dont know who's working there and what data they have access to.

does anyone know anything about GotoMyPC?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

One of my suppliers has used it a couple time in order to access a customer application we run to track our product manufacturing. So far, I haven't found any problems with it 1) being secure, or 2) improper access to my network due to it. It works on an invite/challenge system, and you can watch everything that is happeneing pretty clearly.

Unless the sessions are planed for unattented access, it wouldn't sweat it too much.

MrCoffee
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

he wants access his computer from other locations ... unattended access!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I fire it up on occasion. You access it through a VPN at the gotomypc site. You don't access the client directly. First you log in with a strong password, I use 15 characters. Then you log onto the pc intself with another strong password. Three failed attempts locks out the remote PC and gotomy pc logs everything. I use it in a strict sense where I only turn it on when I absolutely need it though a pc with locked down controls. It's made by Citrix and I would consider it as safe as other software based VPNs. Of course you place some trust in the integrity of the Citriz web site. But they do not store passwords to the client machines, that is set on the machine and encrypted across the entire path.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    GoToMyPC relies upon someone else to manage your security for you.....

He can't VPN to your network?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

GoToMyPC is a good temporary solution for projects etc. There is no overhead on VPN harware and equipment. But it is 15 bucks a month so if it's perm then I am sure your firewall supports some client software?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    From a _corporate_ POV, you should be running a firewall with VPN capabilities these days. If you can't then a firewall that allows a pass-through to a VPN server isn't that costly today. There has to be a better solution than "outsourcing".... doesn't there? I mean, C'mon, this is the "director of MIS" asking for this capability.....

Dumb question..... Shouldn't he know how to do this without using third party internet options.... I do it every day... I work for a non-profit so money isn't a factor.... I have none... Sounds to me like the "director of MIS" is another (L)user who got himself a title before the rest of the organization realized that he was unqualified and now they "trust" him 'cos he always got stuff to work...

Tedob: Slap him silly and tell him to get out of the way.... He's a liability.... period....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

i have given him a configured and tested WG soho 6 fw/vpn client. he says it's to slow. with encryption at both ends it is on the slow side but i use one to administer the network from home, logging in as myself and having stored everthing on a network drive which is in my loggin script it's not all that slow. he's director because he's a real good programmer. we charge our franchissees lot-o-bucks for propritory software so this is understandable but he doesn't have a clue about networking or security (but he is a good guy). fortunatly he has agreed with my decission and will not use GotoMyPC. (as of just after my last posting) and has agreeed to use pcAnywhere mapped to his computer using one of our unused ip addys, but i would like to give him some hard facts as for my reasoning other than i don't know enough about it because a consultant for our phone system (definity 2) recommends it highly but he (the consultant) also doesn't have a corporate network to worry about.