Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visual Basic problem (very noob)

Originally posted here by Dia_Byte
    learning VB !!

did'nt you hear that VB teaches you bad programming habbits !
    Can you give me better way then?

Ninja Code Monkey
    VB is fine, and it doesn't teach you bad programming habits. Listening to retards in this forum does...

If you take the time to learn proper coding and design techniques you'll do fine. I'd also recommend learning to use the debugger. VB6 is a fine language and I've used it to build commerce systems that handle millions o dollars of transactions a day...you just need to take the time to learn how to use it properly. It is still relevant if you get a job supporting older systems for companies that still have legacy code...if you don't have to do it I'd recommend going to C#. Most schools lately seem to be pushing VB.net as their intro language however.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Juridan, I understand VB isn't a bad language, but the fact that it is a proprietary language, is not to the best of learning.

It also limits, it's use-ability. I haven't tried out C#.

Juridian, why did you said that???

i kinda hoped that dude would say i needed to learn C/C++, then i could neg him for not reading the thread

Ninja Code Monkey
    The fact that it is a language primarily limited to windows does not mean that one should not learn it. How does it limit it's usability? If you say cross platform support I'll slap you upside the melon....most people do not bother to write cross platform c/c++ or even need the ability to write cross platform code.

White Scorpion, in the end I'd recommend picking up c/c++ simply because eventually you will probably need to deal with some code written with it. Doesn't stop you from using VB however.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    Juridan, I understand VB isn't a bad language, but the fact that it is a proprietary language, is not to the best of learning.
    Umm, news flash, a lot of languages are proprietary. Whether it's proprietary or not has absolutely nothing to do with its useability and ease of use/understanding.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

White Scorpion, in the end I'd recommend picking up c/c++ simply because eventually you will probably need to deal with some code written with it. Doesn't stop you from using VB however.
    No need Juridian, i'm still using it quite often, the only reason why i want to learn VB is to Reverse Engineer it. Not to write programs with it that will be worth something, but just to learn how it looks like in RE ASM.

ok this is my reply:

i personally think that VB is evil, please respect my opinion "Juridian" !

even thow i know VB a little but i think its bad cause its not portable off windows and it is easy!!! you can learn VB if you want to be spooned information, but as a hacker "White Scorpion" you should learn things that are deeper than simple VB,

frankly if you want to learn VB no body can stop you, but as an advice learn VB.NET it is the new generation of VB

and good luck
    [gloworange][shadow]www.geocities.com/dia_byte0 [/shadow] [/gloworange]

No To 1559 !

Signature image is too tall!

No need Juridian, i'm still using it quite often, the only reason why i want to learn VB is to Reverse Engineer it. Not to write programs with it that will be worth something, but just to learn how it looks like in RE ASM.
    i'm not an expert in RE but i think that it would be a challenge to learn VB RE,

that's what i concluded from reading some cracking tutorial ...
    [gloworange][shadow]www.geocities.com/dia_byte0 [/shadow] [/gloworange]

No To 1559 !

Signature image is too tall!

Umm, news flash, a lot of languages are proprietary. Whether it's proprietary or not has absolutely nothing to do with its useability and ease of use/understanding.

No ****, ever here of BASIC, PASCAL.

Being Proprietary in my opinion is a weakness of any langauge.

I will say this, when doing windows applications. VB.net is the way to go. The time it takes to make a program is far shorter than the time, it takes to make a conterpart in Java, C, or Perl.

I do not remember ever saying that VB, was hard or easy. I said I choose to dislike the langauge, because I find it stupid to make a langauge, that works on just one OS. That means, that if you want to write anything that works for a different OS, you can no longer us, that language. I never said, I thought VB, was a bad language. I said I don' like that.

I know for a fact, I never said anything about VB, being hard to understand.

My point is simply, that with VB, you can not use it on anything that is not Windows. That ****ing sucks. That puts a damper on me when I want to write something for my linux server.

Of Course I could use a different language, but this means, that if the only language you know is VB. You are S.O.L.