Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Visual Basic problem (very noob)

i'm not an expert in RE but i think that it would be a challenge to learn VB RE,

that's what i concluded from reading some cracking tutorial ...
    this is my reason for learning VB, and that will also be the primary reason for learning delphi when i start with it. but perhaps, in the future i learn a language which i like even more then C, and perhaps that will then become the main language i will use....

for now i mainly program for windows, but i think it will never hurt to know a language which can be used on multiple OS's. also i wanted a powerful language, so i started to learn C a while ago...
    now that i have written several programs in it, i feel it is time to learn another language and that would be ASM. but i noticed that it is a lot easier to learn ASM from a RE perspective then that it is to write a program from scratch.... this made me stumble into the problems i now have Reverse Engineering VB, so i put aside my eager to learn ASM for a while and started VB.
    now when i feel i know enough about VB and Delphi, i will continue to learn ASM again, this way, since most programs that i have found are written in VB, C/C++ or Delphi, i can rely on getting past the problems i had with first learning it...

i personally do not like VB cause as far as i have seen it for now is that it is merely a cut & paste language, just like when you create a webpage with dreamweaver or Frontpage... i do not like this. my website i have written in notepad and completely from scratch, this way i will learn as much as i can about this subject, and this also goes for coding....

i also plan on learning java in the future since this is a language which is cross-platform and used in web-app's a lot...

if i master all those languages (including ASM), i think i will be satisfied with my programming knowledge and then only experience can make me a better programmer

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    Being Proprietary in my opinion is a weakness of any langauge.
    Care to elaborate on why? I'm interested because I've never actually heard this reason as a dislike for a language before. The only two languages I see as not being proprietary are C++ and C, due to the large number of people who have done their own implementations of the two, and the size of the Standard Library. Pretty well all other languages are controlled by a central body that decides what should be done with the language.
    Along that line of thought, it leads me to wonder if perhaps you have Proprietary and Open Sourced confused. Even some Open Sourced languages are still proprietary; PHP is a good example of such a language.

I will say this, when doing windows applications. VB.net is the way to go. The time it takes to make a program is far shorter than the time, it takes to make a conterpart in Java, C, or Perl.
    The benefits you describe are exactly VB's forte - rapid application development and deployment.

I do not remember ever saying that VB, was hard or easy. I said I choose to dislike the langauge, because I find it stupid to make a langauge, that works on just one OS. That means, that if you want to write anything that works for a different OS, you can no longer us, that language. I never said, I thought VB, was a bad language. I said I don' like that.
    Hrm, now see, I have a problem with that statement, because you recommend using VB.NET above, and VB.NET can run on many operating systems.
    A large majority of client PCs out there that use Windows. It's potentially career-limiting to choose to dislike a language because it only runs on ~90% of the desktop PCs, and probably about 65-75% of the servers out there.
    If you want to learn a language that will be perfectly portable across a lot of architectures and operating systems, Java is your best bet, though it too brings a boatload of limitations with it.

My point is simply, that with VB, you can not use it on anything that is not Windows. That ****ing sucks. That puts a damper on me when I want to write something for my linux server.
    Erm, look at MONO. C# worked near-flawlessly last time I played with it (6-8 months ago), and I hear they've made some great progress with VB.NET in the last year.

Of Course I could use a different language, but this means, that if the only language you know is VB. You are S.O.L.
    If you honestly believe that is the case -- that you are incapable of pursuing other options -- then yes, you're absolutely 100% correct, but not for the reasons you think.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

So if I am sooo wrong and you are correct educate me, you are always quick to call someone wrong. Prove to me I am wrong, and why I am wrong. I am still waiting. I will give you credit, you know more than me, but when you just saying ****, I have no reason to change any of my views or thoughts. **** you were the person that helped me out with perl in the beginning. I still believe that VB, is not the best language to use.

How can you use a language that can not run on Apache Web servers. Last time I checked, about a good 80% of the web was running apache. So why choose a language, that can't be used for that?

Java is a great language, one that I intend to learn when I have the time. I don't remember saying anything against java. Ohhh and just so you know. Perl can run on any server, anywhere. Mac, Windows, Linux. With CGI, perl works out great for web ****. It also is great for just writing regular programs. It is slow, but it works.

So please, educate me, and get rid of my thoughts that are incorrect. Explain to me why I am incorrect.

you said that you wanted to learn JAVA

thats good ! java works on all platforms including solaris, you can also learn JAVA SCRIPT to add some cool effects to your interisting website ...
    [gloworange][shadow]www.geocities.com/dia_byte0 [/shadow] [/gloworange]

No To 1559 !

Signature image is too tall!

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    So if I am sooo wrong and you are correct educate me, you are always quick to call someone wrong. Prove to me I am wrong, and why I am wrong. I am still waiting.
    Erm, where did I say you were wrong? Were you just waiting to take offense to someone who didn't share the exact opinion you did?

How can you use a language that can not run on Apache Web servers. Last time I checked, about a good 80% of the web was running apache. So why choose a language, that can't be used for that?
    Depends largely on the project. The point is not that you should restrict yourself to one language, but rather that you should open your mind up and learn lots of languages. It is IMO the only way to stay effective and competetive in the programming job market.

Oh, and FYI, you could write VB apps that run on Apache Webservers as CGIs. It would be messy, and far beyond usefulness, but it could be done.

[...]
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Ninja Code Monkey
    I'll say you're wrong. Apache also runs on windows, therefore you can use VB with apache. Combine that with the ability to use ASP with apache and then you can do the same old school vb com/asp **** I used to work on a few years ago.

Now go stfu.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X