Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should virus writers be locked up?

Post Should virus writers be locked up?

http://software.silicon.com/security...9125477,00.htm

Should virus writers be sent to jail??
    Is it the victims fault for not securing their machine?
    What should their punishment be?

Sending virus writers to jail is unlikely to stop their behaviour, says Martin Brampton. And shouldn't our morally ambivalent society and the creators of vulnerable systems share the blame?
    Well I don't think the "creators of the vulnerable systems" should be to blame. How is it their fault someone creates a virus that does damage?

What do you guys think? What should their punishment be? Who is to blame? etc

No, that would be "cruel and unusual punishment".
    I would prefer cutting off their fingers.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Re: Should virus writers be locked up?

Originally posted here by fyrewall
    http://software.silicon.com/security...9125477,00.htm

Well I don't think the "creators of the vulnerable systems" should be to blame. How is it their fault someone creates a virus that does damage?

What do you guys think? What should their punishment be? Who is to blame? etc
    Well my opinion is different wht i think is that the companies should be blame for this act, why not these companies should be punsihed they intentionally leave those backdoors and vulneribilities in their systems and then ask these so called Hackers and Genious Programmers to break into that and then these companies releases updated version.
    So its all there politics. If they can't do that then how come ppl buy the new versions. So thats wht i think and there is another prospective if all these creators should be put into Jail then how come we get to know about these vulneribilities and how come we people do research on these things. Its a Circle of Life.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Well my opinion is different wht i think is that the companies should be blame for this act, why not these companies should be punsihed they intentionally leave those backdoors and vulneribilities in their systems
    So we should blame Microsoft for releasing a system with exploits ? When you write an un-hackable system, please put it for download, when we find a bug, we'll sue you for creating a vulnerable system.....
    O.G at A.O

I personally think the writer of the virus is to blame. They know what they are doing.

You can't blame someone who gets their house burgled because they forgot to lock a window, and that is someones house everyone understands how to lock them up. Not everyone knows how to lockdown a computer. The poor individual who buys a new computer. Installs WinXP and their modem and connects to the net ... they aren't to blame .. they don't know!

While I agree, no offense but this is an ignorant statement. What about someone getting caught by a stray bullet or being killed in crossfire? Is it their fault they were in the way or they were wearing a color they might not should have been wearing? That's basically my point.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    So we should blame Microsoft for releasing a system with exploits ? When you write an un-hackable system, please put it for download, when we find a bug, we'll sue you for creating a vulnerable system.....
    Why not they should also be blamed for this act. A company should be commited to its customers. When the intentionally stop doing this then believe me things will start getting better and better. Normally companies X employees do this, cause they have been with the company developing the product and they aer aware of any backdoor in it n when they switched to other organization they will certainly take the advantage of that Exploit.

My opinion is to blame those company too, i m not sayin these hackers or code writers shouldn't be blammed rather action should be taken against the companies so that they will start making softwares 100% Hackproof and without any vulneribilities.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Re: Should virus writers be locked up?

Yes. They are criminals.

Punishment for Software coders for software with vulnerabilities?
    As in any other area, if it was a fault of the software, no. Market use to punish enough bad software designers.

However, if a company KNOWS that its software has a fault, and it hides the fault from public just because "they dont want a bad image", that kind of company should be punished.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

There is almost no such thing as phisical harm when it comes to computers unless you make screens blink in a way which would cause seizures or pop the CD-tray in and out intil the belt, wheel, or most laptop have springs instead which they all can sometimes break... even then, anyone stupid enought to let malware with a payload that dumb presist and stay on systems for long periods of time, years maybe, enought to a point where phisical harm might exist... these guys should be shot. People who download malware are idiots... they should be gathered and shoved into gas chambers.

Entire sites setup thier own form of laws and rules and they all say, this content is acceptable and that isn't, blah blah... and the even larger idiots, the so called "authority figuers" which we ironicly put into various offices, they've made laws and rules too... they all like to pretend they can enforce things but really, since there is almost no phisical harm to computers they are trying to push people around just because they jumped in and out of an imaginary line for **** sakes. To cry because you are to stupid to own, operate, & do what would take ten seconds to change back... really, its all like charging someone for assualt because they sat on your imaginary friend.

We are living in a world where if I change maybe two or three values in software to 90 or 00 then I'd be breaking the law because im only allowed to use and keep software... not use it the way I want or own it for that matter. Then guess what? If caught I would be charged anywhere from five thousand dallors and above just because a piece of paper said it's wrong to make changes... or even view it through a debugger. These charges and fines are then added based on however many EULA I've shruged off.

Really the only time I would consider there being such a thing as a computer related crime is maybe carding VIA: the web but still... who the hell would fall for a 419.

Should I blame you if you didn't secure your house good enough, and I get in and steal all your stuff?

Well my opinion is different wht i think is that the companies should be blame for this act, why not these companies should be punsihed they intentionally leave those backdoors and vulneribilities in their systems and then ask these so called Hackers and Genious Programmers to break into that and then these companies releases updated version.
    In this case, I'll sue Honda for putting breakable glass in their doors, when the thieves break the glass and steal my MP3 Player, or sue every lock company out there for making locks impossible to break ....get the Idea?