blue tooth VS infra red communication

Thread: blue tooth VS infra red communication

Banned

blue tooth VS infra red communication

i was looking for the differences in blue tooth and infra red ,which are used in mobile phones, i mean why 2 ways of communications bith serve the same purpose don they ? then why the differntation , tes i know that both work in different frequencys but isn;t there some thing else which should be there, which ine is better ....

i tried googling it ,but of no use.no what i quite expected , may be you can help??

Banned
    well thanx to msm i got a few quick answers

http://www.siemens-java.com/tutorials/BlueTooth/

IrDA maximum speed is only 115.200 bps while bluetooth max speed is 1Mbps
    To tranfer data via IrDA, the maximum distance between mobiles must be 20-40cm (in most mobiles) while the maximum distance when using bluetooth is 10m (for mobiles).
    Both mobiles must be aligned to tranfer data when using IrDA. When using Bluetooth this is not required. Just both bluetooth devices must be in the radius of 10-100m (depends on device) in order to exchange data.
    Up to 7 bluetooth devices can be connected simultaneously while only 2 is the limit for IrDA.
    but is there any thing or any files which blue tooth can transfer like movies ,mp3, which infra red fails to do ??or any such draw backs
    in particular what will you like to prefer.blue tooth or infra red

AFAIK,Bluetooth's better for a few reasons viz,a greater distance of communication,and a greater number of devices can be interfaced(as pointed out in this http://www.siemens-java.com/tutorials/BlueTooth/
    The types of files you'd be able to share would depend on your phone really,and not the mode of communication(I think I'm right?lol).Bluetooth'd be preferrable generally with it's obvious advantages(fcourse us poor gits have to use infrared )

Plus as mentioned with the word "aligned" both infra red ports have to be looking right at one another. Tilt one a few dgrees and the negotiation stops.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    yes,yes,yes,of course, that is one draw back in infra red , but with such sever drwback why at all did IRDA go on with the further devolopment of the ifrared comm devices , AFAIK both infrared andblue tooth were simultaniously being deoloped , and both were simultaniously implemented. i mean why at all waste money at the R&D of a device which is so fragile in comunication .??