TMI?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMI?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Tmi?

One of my students sent me a link to this website: http://order.1and1.com (now, hit "Why 1&1" in the top right and then "Data Centers" on the left --- the original link I had just didn't seemed to want to work here). It was sent to me because it highlighted some of the items I had been talking about in the class. Now when you go, scroll down and view the Data Center Flash Movie. So here's the question: isn't this a little too much info to give out? Or maybe it's just me.

Opinions?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Link's broken 404

StOrM™
    well the link works if you take out a space before w (in whydatacenter).
    and ya thats not TMI that everything from top to bottom.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

It reads like the plot of a Mission Impossible movie. All the physical security measures are highlighted in glorious technicolour flash. Your mission...

Must have gone to the Micros**t school of security
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    No.. rather the detailed floor plan and security features for their data center that are highlighted in the flash movie. When you consider it (and on the internet we always want more info) at what point is it just TMI for security reasons?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Computer Forensics
    It's TMI the instant they show you anything about the datacenter. They should tell you about it in vague details..but the rest...boooo!
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Very Flashy.. (sorry about the play on words :O ) but it is much more then they NEED to give out and other then impressing people... why put the actual layout out there for everyone to see? But I do have to say, they are VERY impressed with themselves!
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    All I have to say is I hope nobody's planning a physical attack on the company...
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There is just enough info to stage an attack of the facility. They were nice enough to tell me that they have a Cisco 12000 and a Juniper M40 there and the hardware specs on their hosts. I wouldn't provide this kind of detail.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'd be inclined to believe that the datacenter shown is a dummy and not the real thing. Either way it really doesn't tell much that an intruder couldn't work out after making entry.

What i do like though is:-

1&1 Internet guarantees 99.9% uptime
    So in every 16.667 minutes the system is down for a second..... That's pretty dismal reliability IMO.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides