Thread: Looking for some tools

Looking for some tools

I am calling all the techies out there to see if any of you have any suggestions for some hardware I am looking for. I need a networking kit.... I do a lot of contract work which keeps me doing a lot of various tasks: wiring, punch downs, etc.

To date I have just borrowed my buddies paladin premise kit... Well its a really nice kit and I would love to have one like it BUT its like 400 dollars for this kit. What I am hoping is you guys might be able to recommend some different brands and/or locations where I can get a kit or various hardware individually. I looked on ebay but cant tell what is cheap crap and what wouldnt be bad.

I need Punch down tool, cable testers, may or may not need tone generator.

I have a couple of crimper sets, and a coax terminator.

thanks for help as always
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    I (try to) get all my stuff from Jensen, but they're not exactly cheap...
    Here's a complete networking kit, for $340... if you want the case with it, it's $440.
    And then there's something like this which costs "only" $155... all high quality stuff, but a little overpriced. You can probably get all the separate tools at the Home Depot and Radio Shack for $25...

That paladin premise kit is pretty nice. I might have to pick up one of those.
    You can find them on froogle for about $320.

When you think about it, its not that much. Just up your prices a bit on the installs until you pay the job pays for it. I have a toolbag that one of our vendors (phone company) gave me. They've given me a lot of tools that they had replaced with upgraded or newer versions. Since then I've just been adding tools here and there as I need them. IMO- The paladin premise kit looks like a very nice set. Stick with that if you can.

All of the tools that Negative linked you to I've gathered up for less than $40 at misc. shops.
    I just don't have the handy case. I just keep them all in my toolbag.

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/datacom/80118.html

That is the one we have at the shop at work.
    But we have a lot of other tools that we've aquired over time.
    It costs a bit more than the paladin premise kit.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.