Citrix Security Question

Thread: Citrix Security Question

Exclamation Citrix Security Question

I'm not sure if any of you are firmiliar with Citrix but I'm looking for a way to change the default: "logical drive" that is created when a person logs into my server.

Whenever someone logs into my server, it creates a logical drive(Q) for the time they are logged in that contains temp files, such as Internet Cookies and such. when they log off, it deletes everything on the Q drive waits for the next person to log in.

Problem is, whenever they try to save a email attachment or something it defaults to the Q: drive and most of the customers are logging off and losing the attachments they save and have worked on. So I'm looking for a way to change the Q: drive to the users personal directory or H: Drive.

Any help would be great. I heard there was some sort of reg hack on the server I could do but I havn't been able to locate one. Please Help

Without knowing what version of MetaFrame you are using, what version of Windows it is running on, and if you are connecting to published apps or a virtual desktop it is a little hard to tell you exactly.

What I would try first would be to map the drive that you want the users to save files in during the login script. This would make the drive available to them and all they would need is a little training on where to save their information. If that does not solve your problem you could try this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Personal = REG_EXPAND_SZ HomeDrive:\My Documents

<<where My Documents is the drive you want for the users home drive>>

If this doesn't help please leave more detailed information about the operating environment and I'll try to be more specific...

Citrix Metaframe XP
    Windows 2000 Server
    Virtual Desktop

I need to know if this is going to work before I implement it with the customers. I can't implement something for 5000 people and have it screw stuff up. I'll be out of a job.

OK, I will admit straight away that it has been some time since I used Citrix.

The way ours worked was you logged into the network and then the Citrix server on the site you wanted, and that brought up the window full of icons. You clicked the icon for the app you needed and it took you to the applications server that was held on.

Whatever you did was either saved in the application itself (ERP for example) or on a file server at that site.

As far as I am aware the Citrix server didn't do anything more than act as some sort of routing mechanism to get you to the right applications server. You logged into the network at the site, or remotely, and that took you to your file server (your personal directory on the file server you were allocated to).

That was some time ago (NT4) and I suspect that things have moved a fair bit on the Citrix front, but it does seem that you might be a server missing? Mind you I can't quite visualise your architecture at the moment.

just a thought

well basically everyone uses citrix like there personal desktop. They log into the system and can access such applications like word and outlook. We primarily work from thin clients. This keeps us down on viruses and such.

Problem is that logical drive it creates. I'm not sure why or how, but it creates a logical drive called q: and defaults all saves and such to that drive.

If anyone knows of a way to change that default to maybe there home directory or there my documents folder. I would greatly appreciate the wisdom.

Banned
    When I used citrix, we used shared folders on the servers drive, then used a login script to map a drive to that folder at login. We hid all other drives from the user. Worked great.

the Q: drve is hidden. However whenever they try to save an email attachment or something, it pops the path up. If they click on there H: drive or home directory than they cannot get back to the q: drive. I want to just get rid of that default save mapping that has been created.

Any ideas?

It's been a while and I no longer use XP. If I remember correctly you can right click on the published app - in this case outlook (management console). Choose properties and I think the tab is redirect file location or redirection. there you can specify a working directory something like %username% local H:

Can't remember - look at the published app manager and let me know what the properties for outlook are. Also look at the Redirect? Tab and see if this is what you are looking for.

If so I'll dig up my old documentation and post