Thread: Windows Media Player reverting back to v.7

Windows Media Player reverting back to v.7

Hi,

Latley I have seen a growing number of people asking me to fix their media player.

The problem seems to be that windows media player reverts back to the old v.7 (the one with the white clip board as its icon). No programs have been installed that could have caused this, it just seems to do it by itself for some reason. Obviously something is making this happen but I just cant seem to fathom it out.

All the machines have been either XP home or Pro and had WMP v.9. Nothing has been installed on the box's at the time it happens, it just seems to happen when they have booted their machines up one day.

I have searched all the boxs for all media player files and it seems that the only media player on them is v.7. I have been assured in all cases that they have been using v.9. So somthing has completley uninstalled v.9 and deleted it.

The only way I have been able to sort them out is by downloading v.9 from the Windows update site. Whilst this solves the problem, I would still like to know what is/could cause this problem.

I have ran a AV & Spy/Ad-ware check on all boxs and they all come up clean.

I have tried everything I know to find a "better" way of fixing it as downloading it again and installing it seems to be an "easy" way out, as whatever caused the problem in the first place is still there.

One thing I have noticed is that in all cases quicktime is installed and is the default media player.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and maybe found the cause of it?

Thanks!

Two things grab my attention.....version 9 (they have 10 out now....see attachment) and:
    One thing I have noticed is that in all cases quicktime is installed and is the default media player.
    But I don't understand how either could possibly uninstall version 9, with out something else being involved.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Sounds weird to me, but wasn't version 7 the one with all the security holes in it..............allowed remote access etc?

Sorry bit of a typo there, they origianaly had v9 installed but when I updated it, obviously they had v.10.

But I don't understand how either could possibly uninstall version 9, with out something else being involved.
    Thats what im trying to figure out, what could have uninstalled it.

I just wondered if anyone else has seen this happen before and maybe found a solution.

Thnaks guys.