1 monitor, 2 boxes ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 monitor, 2 boxes ?

1 monitor, 2 boxes ?

Is it possible to connect 2 box on one monitor, a friend is brining his box over so i can fix it, i wanna bw able to search for info and fix it at the same time ? is there a cable i can buy or something, i don't think it's possible, does anyone of you know if i can do that ?
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Hi

What you are looking for is a "two port KVM"-switch, which are fairly cheap (It'll switch Keyboard,
    Video, and Mouse (hence KVM)). Often products by IOGEAR[1] are used and advertised,
    but I "heard" of malfunctions after switching (however, it's been a while). A reliable,
    albeit ugly device is produced by pearl[2].

Note, I never heard of a cable having that functionality. I was looking for something like
    this a while ago, but bought a KVM in the end.

Cheers

[1] http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...y&category=kvm
    [2] http://www.pearl.de/p/PE6622-PS-2-US...pus-Kabel.html
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

AO French Antique News Whore
    Very possible!! It ran around 50 US. Very usefull! They are call KVM as sec_ware said.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I agree that a KVM is the best way to go.

I picked up a 4 port KVM with all the cables (for all 4 PCs) at a computer show some time ago for under $120. But that was about 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what they are going for today. I like the Belkin KVMs and thats what I use at work.

If that is a bit too much for you and you don't plan on using it all the time... you can always just get a monitor switch. But that would require you to have two keyboards and two mice on your desk. But it can get the job done... You can get a 2 port monitor box for under $10 some places.

http://www.cablesnmor.com/monitor-switch-box.html

You'll just need to get the cables too... but you can probably get them for under $8 each.

Look around froogle and see what you can come up with.

But if youhave the extra $$... KVM is the way to go. You can even get KVMs that take certain key combos from your keyboard to switch between the PCs... ctrl+alt+f1 = computer1 ctrl+alt+f2 = computer2, etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Yes you can get KVM switches that let you run two PCs from one keyboard mouse and screen. Another solution would be the old data switch............you connect the monitor to the switch and the two PC video cables to the other side. There is an old fashioned plastic knob that you turn from one to the other.

The latter would be the cheapest solution, they are so old fashioned you should be able to pick one up for a few bucks.

Good luck

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: 1 monitor, 2 boxes ?

Originally posted here by 妯py展ght
    Is it possible to connect 2 box on one monitor, a friend is brining his box over so i can fix it, i wanna bw able to search for info and fix it at the same time ? is there a cable i can buy or something, i don't think it's possible, does anyone of you know if i can do that ?
    I was also looking for something like this...... Your thread is quite helpful 2 me 2...... Thanx
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

There is an old fashioned plastic knob that you turn from one to the other.
    Those suck! Don't buy them! I have 2 and I'm very disappointed. If you turn the button in the incorrect position, you'll probably have some the blue input of your computer video output or something like that. Also, with those, when you boot a computer and the button is not on their "port", the computer doesn't see the keyboard and mouse! Really horrible!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Originally posted here by SDK
    Those suck! Don't buy them! I have 2 and I'm very disappointed. If you turn the button in the incorrect position, you'll probably have some the blue input of your computer video output or something like that. Also, with those, when you boot a computer and the button is not on their "port", the computer doesn't see the keyboard and mouse! Really horrible!
    If its not the right solution then wht other option available ?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

I'll probably go with KVM, tx a lot guys !
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

Fan, I was only taking about those "old fashioned plastic knob" that suck! Real Electronic KVM are really good!
    -Simon \"SDK\"