Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 monitor, 2 boxes ?

While I havent tried the expensive emulation KVM's the cheaper ones are quiet acceptable..

a couple of things to be aware of: (with the cheap KVM's)

If you have WinXP on a dual moniter setup.. only Boot with the XP machine with it selected on the KVM..
    On HP/Compaq (perhaps other OEM Systems), some of the special Boot Keys may not work.. have had problems with the F1, F2, F10 .. even F8 , I have tried this with several cheaper KVM's, and keyboards, .. direct connection all is well..

Out side of those two issues.. Fan-bloody-tastic

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Senior since the 3 dot era
    KVM's are used all the time in racks with several racked servers, those are mostly approached remotly and if you need physical access one set of keyboard, mouse, screen saves a lot of place for more mighty servers

Be warned not all KVM's deliver the same video quality some older mostly cheaper ones seem to have some interference or ghosting problems. If you can, get one that you got good comments from others or one that you have seen working.

the Linksys KVM2KIT 2-Port KVM Switch Kit is almost like a cable that connects 2 boxes with a single set of keyboard, mouse, monitor