Thread: Looking For A Good Router For Small Home Network

Exclamation Looking For A Good Router For Small Home Network

Hi,
    Im looking for a good router to start a small mac network. Im new to networking and need some advice.
    If its any help one computer is power mac os 7.5, one is emac os 10.2.8, another iMac is 9.2.2, and a laptop with 10.2 I also want win ompatible if i ever decide to get one any sugestions would be appreciated.

I take it that you are using TCP/IP as your communciation protocol?

If so, then any standard home router will do the job. Take your pick from linksys, netgear, dlink, etc.
    They all will be similar with just a couple different features.

Are you going to stay wired or go wireless? If you are going wireless, then you have to see which manufacturer cards support your operating systems. (drivers and config. utilities)

Routers don't really care about your operating system. They just care about the traffic going through it. Since your machines are capable of TCP/IP (I hope... I'm not a MAC guy.) then any router will be fine.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you do go wireless I would suggest the SMC Barricade EZ Wirless router.

It supports 802.11a, b, g

it is pricey at $169 but inludes a 4 port switch and tons of options to confiure.

I've been using it for a few months now at home and love it. You can get up to 108mbps on the 802.11a wirless range.
    =

For my home network I use the Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router. It have a high enough data transfer speed of 54 mbps (you most likely would not need to go faster than that for a home network) and has some integrated security features like MAC filtering, a built-in firewall, and up to a 128-bit WEP key. Also, you can add on almost any type of card to the network, so the only real limitation is what type of wireless card your OS will take. You shouldn't have a compatibility problem with your macs newer than Mac OS 8, however you will probably want to upgrade that Mac OS 7.5

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Next to a linux box running a firewall / router solution, the netgear, dlink, linksys or SMC products are good. I have good experience with SMC Barricade but also with a cheap LevelOne firewall.