Thread: POSTing in Visual Basic 6

POSTing in Visual Basic 6

Hey, I'll get straight to the point:

I would like help emulating an internet FORM post with Visual Basic 6.0. This will help me to create a program for automating functions I do online everyday.

Maybe something with WinINet API functions would do? I have something coded but it's having trouble resolving the DNS name and I'm not really sure why at all.

Anyway, some sample code or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
    [gloworange][pong][/pong][/gloworange]
    CPU: 166 MHz \'It\'s overclocked, too.
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Pro II \'This thing is older than I am. Find it on Google, I DARE you.
    Video Card: 8 Mb video \'I don\'t even know what it is.
    How my computer crashes every day: I will be in the middle of something important, when random lines draw themselves across my screen. This usually gives me 10 more seconds of mouse time, where I am unable to interact with anything. Three finger salute results in the blue screen of death. Double three finger solute is inoperable even during blue screen of death. Some swearing occurs. Reboot.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You want the form to save on the Internet?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Well...

I want to be able to POST to a web server, if that's what you meant. That includes a body and a header.

For instance, user names and passwords are sent to servers using the POST method. I would like to be able, for example, to log into a web server using a Visual Basic program.

On another thought, if this could be done using C++ I wouldn't mind learning how to use that language either. Learning is good.

So uh... yeah.
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Pro II \'This thing is older than I am. Find it on Google, I DARE you.
    How my computer crashes every day: I will be in the middle of something important, when random lines draw themselves across my screen. This usually gives me 10 more seconds of mouse time, where I am unable to interact with anything. Three finger salute results in the blue screen of death. Double three finger solute is inoperable even during blue screen of death. Some swearing occurs. Reboot.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I don't know VB enough to help you on this but someone might now since your problem is clearly said. Good luck.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thank you... I've been searching for so long... It appears to me that even Google might finally not know the answer in its pages of infinite wisdom, and it might come down to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Or maybe you are not asking google the right question.

I'd look into automating the internet explorer control via visual basic....that or learning simple tcp/ip communications with visual basic and enough http to do what is required (I did something similar once to create a web proxy for a contest website).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I've never used vb6 but vb.net has object classes that handle everything from database access to tcp/ip. Perhaps if vb6 doesn't workout you should check out vb.net
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Soon I shall have Visual Basic .Net. And then I shall rule the world! But for now...

Anybody want to send a donation? ...

Mmm, yes, I think I shall postpone the making of this program until such time as Visual Basic .Net is available to me. I've been a bit busy with school anyhow.

Just Another Geek
    I'd say go with Perl and forget about VB. Have a look at libwww:

http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-...00/lwpcook.pod
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yes! Why I think that's it! Brilliant!

I'd say go with Perl and forget about VB.
    Yes, Perl! I shall do Perl! That answer is all coming clear to me! Oh, I need a drink.

Thanks, SirDice.
    For you I shall use those annoying word features.

[gloworange][pong]SirDice[/pong][/gloworange]