Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somehow funny situation..

Somehow funny situation..

Ok, here is the scenario:
    In the appartment I live, the internet is shared between 3 users.
    Using router -D-Link 624i. One connection trough the LAN port & the other 2 using wireless.
    One day is was doing upload etc. to a webpage, htm docs whatever. The other person that lives in the appartment (he is using the LAN port on the router) Unplugged my wireless card from my laptop ( God damn ) Because he was about to play a counter-strike match (Heh?) When I was out on a walk. Very ugly action. So in revenge, i blocked the ports (27000->) etc. on the router to block his CS playing.. Later on when he found this out, he reopened this ports, blocked some really needed port-forwarding to my pc, and changed the router password to something he only knows. In my point of view this is quite unmoral, since we all share the cost of the broadband. Ok, I can knock him in the face and force him to tell me the password (duh?) not my style. I can also reset the router, but then he will reset it again and change the password beacuse the router is in his room.
    So, here comes the case:
    Are there any way to sniff the password (when he connects to the router WWW-config) ?
    Or, can I retrieve the password in any other way?
    Retrieving the password means that I can forward my ports again, and when knowing the password, it is not unmoral (like when he is the only who knows the password)
    And, (quite script kiddie, whatever) are there any way I can block the user from using the internet, as an revenge..?
    Hope this doesn't sounds silly, but it's pretty annoying..

Sounds as if you have some other problems (with your roomates) other than just getting the routers password. You may want to figure those issues out first then worry about your 'Net connection...

- Maverick

This situation seems pretty childish to me. I think you just need to work things out with your roommate. Yes he may have started it, but you retaliated by blocking a bunch of ports. Why didn't you just ask him not to do it again? Revenge is not the solution to this issue because things will eventually spiral out of control to the point where you two will hate each other. Just sit down and talk it out like mature adults.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

defzons,

I cannot provide any technical advice because I don't possess the technical competency. I would say that whatever technical solution someone may provide will not solve this problem because the root cause is a disagreement over usage.

The other person that lives in the appartment (he is using the LAN port on the router) Unplugged my wireless card from my laptop ( God damn ) Because he was about to play a counter-strike match (Heh?)
    You have stated that you all share the broadband connection, hence I presume the cost. Therefore, everyone has an equal right to this connection. Your flat-mate has absolute no right to be either adding nor removing hardware without your express permission. The crux of the problem is due to one person's selfishness. Unless you can all agree, or all get separate broadband connections and a physical lock on your bedroom doors to prevent unauthorised access, no technical solution will sovle your problem when everyone has physical access to the router. It's futile providing a technical solution which will not solve the problem - you've all stated that you share the cost equally therefore all of you should have equal access.

Personally, if I lived with someone who acted in such asinine fashion, then I would either:
    1. Install my own broadband connection and a physical lock on my bedroom
    2. or my preferred option, either tell my flat-mate to pack up their sh$t and don't let the door slam on their ass on the way out, or I would leave

If the situation has got to the stage where hardware is being removed and the connection is being hijacked, then I would move in with more mature and trustworthy flat-mates. If it's not your [shared] broadband connection then it will be another issue.

Take my advice, either manage to sit down with your flat-mates and draw up a tenancy agreement or one of you has to move out. If you cannot have mutual respect and trust with the people that you live with, then it's time to get a new apartment.

Regards,
    Riotgirl
    \"Don\'t worry. I don\'t have low self-esteem. It\'s a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else\".

First, thanks for the good reply's
    Like the situation is now, I am moving out in january (not a shock) As the first person pointed out there are several other issues. The router problem is actually just a small piece of the whole puzzle. Beeing childish when it comes to other things to, like cleaning the appartment whatever..
    But, the router problem is very important now, because I access the computer from school, and like things are now, it not possible.
    When he unplugged my wireless card I told him that it was NOT the right thing to do. He could have asked me first. But as childish he is for most of the time, he didn't get the point.
    I know the situation is very childish, in detailed way, but it isn't when it comes to moral & princ. matters.
    RiotGirl.. we all share the appartment. And some very important element; He who unplugged my card, is the son of the owner of the appartment. (we all pay rent though) He got the largest bed-room, and give a **** when it comes to clean up after himself..

It would be very nice to solve the router password as a last case.. so I can work with my school ex. etc. (I know that there is no way I can talk to him, and he will give me the password..)

Reset router to factory default log on and change password.

I have (unfortunally) many home network clients. Some one, usually a dependant, changes router passwords and goes off to college or wherever, and the only way to troubleshoot any network issues are to get into the router. Of course, the parents have no idea what the password is.

Well.. but right now it is a bit different. If I reset and change password, another person will again reset the router and change the password..

Until one of you puts the router in a steel box and physically locks it, reseting the router would be the quick and dirty way of restoring access....that is until some buys a plasma cutter.....
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

defzons,

I've re-spliced your post to highlight the most prominent (and troubling) issues:

Originally posted here by defzons

RiotGirl.. we all share the appartment. And some very important element; He who unplugged my card, is the son of the owner of the appartment. (we all pay rent though) He got the largest bed-room, and give a **** when it comes to clean up after himself..
    Great. Not only is the router in HIS room (physical access) but due to his father owning the apartment, you have absolutely ZERO bargaining power. I don't think a technical solution will help you out if someone has physical access to the router and the machines (but it cuts both ways - remember that .. I'll touch upon this later) although you should hopefully receive a few technical answers. My way of handling the situation would be plan your objective Thai style i.e. think with your head:

Let's assess the situation:
    1 Son of owner of the apartment
    2 Childish and immature
    3 Physical access to the router and machines

First, I would get a physical lock on your bedroom until you move out so that this guy doesn't have access to YOUR machine. Think about it - if he is prepared to remove hardware, then he will be prepared to physically tamper with your machine in other ways i.e. removing components, installing software (keylogger, trojan, etc). So, make sure you have TOTAL access and control to your box (laptop), make sure it's 100% clean - no virii, trojans, worms etc - no loggers or any other malicious malware installed. At this point I would have NO trust in this house-mate of yours.

Second, make the first move to offer the olive branch to make peace. Due to his personality (see your quotation below), reason often doesn't work with surly, childish adults. You have to appear to acquiesce to their demands - lulling them into a false sense of security - apologise for your role in the situation (yeah, it sucks at having to suck it up - but remember the objective: access to the router until you leave. Oh, and some revenge Thai style .. but that's your call. I neither condemn nor condone any future actions that you might take).

If you have to squirm and make him feel like the 'Man', swallow your pride (temporarily) and do so. You have ZERO, absolute jack bargaining power with this individual judging by your living situation, your present needs (access to router) and his personality. Once you get him on side and have access to the router, you have achieved part of your objective. Your other objective is to take as much sh$t from him, without acquiescing to any unreasonable demands to allow you to get your work done before you move out.

But as childish he is for most of the time, he didn't get the point.
    I know the situation is very childish, in detailed way, but it isn't when it comes to moral & princ. matters.
    ** Thai style: once you're close to moving out (and you should have LOCKED away your box and/or laptop (if he has physical access, he practically has root, for all intents and purposes), his bargaining power over you diminishes to practically nothing when all of your sh$t is out of that apartment. Remember? Thai style? Your patience will be rewarded .. he who has access to router and/or box has root access. I leave it the choice up to you whether at this point you wish to cut your losses and just be thankful to be out of that apartment or whether you wish to dish out a slice of revenge served up cold ..

You have to be pretty dumb to f**k someone off (like he has done to you) if that person has physical access to your box and is due to be moving out of the apartment. I leave the choice up to your sense of ethics.

Regards,
    Riotgirl
    \"Don\'t worry. I don\'t have low self-esteem. It\'s a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else\".

Very wise words Riotgirl..
    I have been VERY patience with this guy, in almost 6mnd's. He rides on the "my-father-owns-the-appartment-wave", and that's why I am moving. People that have no sense of fellowship (If that's the correct word to use) isn't exactly my favourite room-mates. He abuses his situation and gives a ****. This situation has moved above the router problem But I get the case.. from now to january I will answer his childish behaviors in a -more- adult way, defensive mode. I think that would be the best way, after all.
    PS: As long he doesn't know my logon password, he won't find out. Took him a week dudling with windows, reinstalling etc. before he figured out that routers have filters..