Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Major probs with IE

Regal Making Handler
    MRU stands for Most Recently Used.

This can be programs/Urls/Documents, etc...............Windows likes to keep track of how it is being used.

This is not so much a direct security threat, more a possible threat to your privacy. This is because other users on a shared pc can see what you have been upto.

As for coolwebsearch!! there is nothing cool about it. It is a royal pain in the a$$. There are many variants and to effectivly deal with it you nead to know what variant you are infected with.

If what ever scans you have run do not get rid of the infection. Look for Groovicus's tutorial on removing coolwebsearch...............Ok here it is

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=261046
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I am going to go and check out that link...thanks....hey was it you who suggested deleting IETie.dll?? Yeah, well I tried that and it told me that I was not allowed to do it!!
    Willow

If your not allowed to then the process is probably running, hence you are trying to delete a file that is being executed, which you cannot do. If ad-aware wont remove it, run the task manager to see of the file is running and then kill it, then delete the file. Safe mode works well for things like that as well as you have a restricted amount of programs running in the background.

Just a question, Did you not run adaware before? after the like 2nd post when it was suggested?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

I ran ad-aware before I orginally posted and about 5 or more times since
    Willow

Regal Making Handler
    I am going to go and check out that link...thanks....hey was it you who suggested deleting IETie.dll?? Yeah, well I tried that and it told me that I was not allowed to do it!!
    Did you go into safe mode to delete it like i said.????
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

That was what I was just about to do.....I will let you know what happens
    Willow

Allllllrighty....time for some weirdness. so when I am in regular operating mode I can go into c:windows\system32 and I find IETie.dll.........when I start up in safe mode and go into c:\windows\system32 .......it is NOT there. I have done this twice now...noting down what comes before it and after it (in regular op mode) and it is just not there when I start up in safe. Is this making any sense?? I am starting to think that I should get a priest because my computer is possessed!!!!
    Willow

if you can see about:blank, the first thing that u need to make sure is that u are connected to the internet: 2 lil computer icons on the lower right portion of the screen. then make sure that you have done the ff. procedures:

1. work offline is unchecked
    2. check on the proxy settings of the browser(make sure that u have the correct connection to the isp, click on ie, internet options, connection tab, make sure its always dial my defaut connection, click on the LAN settings button and uncheck everything if your not on network)
    3. check if you have firewall, bec sometimes it does help u not to see the page
    4. clear cookies and cache on internet options
    5.check if you have spyware.. start>run>msconfig>ok and read items on the startup and look for it at www.2-spyware.com
    6.if it doesnt work, repair your ie

i hope that works
    juicy`peanut

ok I have done all that...your last line is "repair your ie" HOW exactly? I mean that is what I have been trying to do for days!!

I have run my spyware progs over and over ---- they keep coming up with Wild Tangent (even though I have deleted that file from the system) and Coolwebsearch and various others. So I tell my spyware progs to fix the probs....yada, yada, yada......and it tells me that the probs are fixed. The thing is, nothing is fixed. If I were to run ad-aware again right now it would bring all that stuff right back up.

It was suggested that I delete a file called IETie.dll.....that I should boot in safe mode and go in and delete that file. I have started in safe mode and that file does not exist in c:windows\system32 when I start in safe mode although it is very definitely there when I start in regular mode........of course I cannot delete it in regular mode, it will not let me.

I have checked my lan settings and changed them to no avail, I have followed every suggestion so far give to me and still my IE is hijacked with about:blank !!!!!!
    Willow

Juicypeanut, Have you read the messages prior?

Anyway Willow,

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure adaware or spybot or AV didnt zap Ietie.dll already? If you run adawar again are you still getting the coolwebsearch junk?

also, is the proxy still showing up or has that been resolved. as to why it was there and then disappeared, maybe it already got deleted....or will it show up again once you boot in normal mode?
    <update>
    <sorry you beat my post!>
    </update>
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.