.ASF incompatibility...

Thread: .ASF incompatibility...

The Prancing Pirate

.ASF incompatibility...

I have tried playing some .ASF files which I uploaded from my camera to my computer but I've had tried playing them and they do not work. Windows Media Player 10 needs a codec for it which isn't downloadable from the M$ site (I have also tried searching for the codec, but no results ). I found an article saying that DivX Player was capable of playing them, but that didn't work either. Can someone please tell me where to find this codec (apparently "45" to the M$ site...but I personally don't trust them), or could you please post a link to it? Thanks a lot in advance, because I would really like to see those clips.

J_K9
    TAZForum <---- click

The Prancing Pirate
    Hey thanks, but there didn't seem to be anything in there saying how to solve the problem. I have downloaded the codec I needed (sg726acm.cab), but now I don't know what to do with it. I've tried searching the Media Player folder for other files of this type, but found nothing. Any ideas out there?

J_K9
    TAZForum <---- click

The Prancing Pirate

Sorry for double-posting!

OK, I managed to find a codec for it here. The link is DIRECT, straight to the download. It is called codec 45, and the file is actually called sg726acm.cab. And for those of you that don't know, when you have finished downloading it, extract it and then right-click the .inf and select "Install". And there you go! But make sure that both the .inf file and .ACM files you just extracted are in the same directory, if not it will not work!

Now, just one more thing: I am looking for a converter, but I haven't been able to find a good free one. The Boilsoft one's trial isn't very good, because apart from the fact it is shareware and after the files have been converted they are HUGE, it also adds a bar across the bottom and some words in the middle of the video, so not very nice! WinMPG doesn't work well either, cause it also leave a message across the screen! Do you know of any which will not leave a message across the screen and at the same time is freeware? Thanks in advance,

J_K9

P.S If there are any Apple Mac OS X users out there, do you know if Quicktime on them can play .ASF? Thanks.
    TAZForum <---- click