Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows source?

Question windows source?

Hello all . is it possible to view microsft source code? If so how? :confused:

the is no such thing as a dumb question.

please excuse my bad spelling.

In a word............NO

There have been some bits published on the "dark side" but you are looking at maybe 15 million lines of code for Win XP?

I guess you would need around 100 CDs to hold it?

Ninja Code Monkey
    In a word, yes. Nihil is misinformed.

You can find leaked source on the internet, you can also be apart of the governments, schools, organizations, etc. that Microsoft is sharing their source code with. You can find more information on their shared source licensing here - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...1/05-03csm.asp
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

In a word, yes. Nihil is misinformed.
    I think not old chap, we obviously agree on fragmentary disclosures on the net, but as to the main code .............. you need to be a "partner" so:

If you are in a partner environment, you do NOT ask a question like this, because you already know the answer?

why is the code so secret? what happens if you share code?

Well,

The code is the intellectual property of Microsoft, and they make a lot of money from it. They also spend a vast amount of money on developing and supporting it.

As Juridian pointed out, the source code or parts of it are made available to Microsoft's business partners so that their products can be developed to be compatible with Microsoft's. It is NOT available to the general public.

It is "closed source" as are many proprietary softwares. Proprietary software vendors don't want people messing with a product that has their name on it and that they support. Nor do they want people writing enhancements and add-ins that are not entirely stand alone. They will only allow their business partners to do this.

Also, they do not want people stealing their ideas, design and so forth that they have spent a fortune in developing. Software such as Linux is open source because no single entity has funded its development..............it is a "labour of love" amongst enthusiasts.

I hope that helps to explain

Ninja Code Monkey
    And where does he specify all the source for windows? The question was "Hello all . is it possible to view microsft source code? If so how?"

The answer is yes, it is possible. Microsoft has programs to allow you access depending on your need, affiliation, and how much they like you.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

well if you are interested in OS source you must have Linux ..

or you will have to read endless line of ASM code as i am informed ...
    [gloworange][shadow]www.geocities.com/dia_byte0 [/shadow] [/gloworange]

No To 1559 !

Signature image is too tall!

Half of the source code for windows was most likely stolen from
    other companies, so Microsoft can't publish it or they'd be caught
    for piracy.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.