Thread: Windows Terms?

Windows Terms?

I was wondering if anyone could clear a few things up for me. I was wondering if anyone could tell what exactly the following is:

Paged Pool Usage
    Non-Paged Pool Usage
    PageFile Usage

Im referring to the arguments in the PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS structure (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...unters_str.asp)

I knew what page faults were, and I found that Working set size is the average memory usage of a process, just hoping someone could explain the rest to me. Thanks
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

********** |ceWriterguy
    A quick check of www.whatis.techtarget.com should help you. I found several web hits on paged pool usage, non paged pool usage, and their configurations, as well as page file usage.

Luck to you!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Links seems to only with as http://whatis.techtarget.com. But thanks for the help!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Got an answer

Let's start with "Page file" usage.

This is the amount allocated to the system page file. The page file is essentially a file used to store 'parts' of your physical memory on your HD, when you run out. Ever notice the lag time when you have, say, 10 applications open, and you switch over to an application which was idle for the past hour? This lag time is a result of the system swapping old data from the page file, back to physical memory.

So to sum it up, idle areas of the RAM are generally written to the page file, to make room for the more recent and frequently used data. This is the "page pool" area. There are, however, areas of the RAM that are crucial to the OS, and cannot be written out to the page file. These area's are called, "Non-paged" area's.

Read up on "Virtual memory" for more information.
    Thanks to megatron @ vbforums