Thousands of Marines & Army troops storm Fallujah

Thread: Thousands of Marines & Army troops storm Fallujah

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Thousands of Marines & Army troops storm Fallujah

Thousands of Marines and Army troops storm Fallujah
    NEAR FALLUJAH (AP) Thousands of U.S. troops, backed by armor and a stunning air barrage, attacked the toughest strongholds of Sunni insurgents in Fallujah on Monday, launching a long-awaited offensive aimed at putting an end to guerrilla control of the Sunni Muslim city.

After nightfall, U.S. troops advanced slowly on the northwestern Jolan neighborhood, a warren of alleyways where Sunni militant fighters have dug in. Artillery, tanks and warplanes pounded the district's northern edge, softening the defenses and attempting to set off any bombs and boobytraps before troops moved in. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...fallujah_x.htm
    That must be one hell of a site! Sounds almost biblicial.... Just a question, isn't a thousand soldiers overkill especially since Fallujah is a compact city? I heard on CNN that our tanks have major problem navigating in the street- getting stuck, can't move etc- becoming fat targets. Hope it doesn't turn into another "Black Hawk down" situation....

Fallujah has about 300,000 people. There are about 10,000 American troops and about 5,000 Iragi troops participating in this assault.

Fallujah has about 300,000 people. There are about 10,000 American troops and about 5,000 Iragi troops participating in this assault.
    yeah..lol I just finished reading the page-in between stuff. I heard they got most of the "regular" citizens out which makes it somewhat better.

Banned

Re: Thousands of Marines & Army troops storm Fallujah

Originally posted here by kurt_der_koenig
    That must be one hell of a site! Sounds almost biblicial.... Just a question, isn't a thousand soldiers overkill especially since Fallujah is a compact city? I heard on CNN that our tanks have major problem navigating in the street- getting stuck, can't move etc- becoming fat targets. Hope it doesn't turn into another "Black Hawk down" situation....
    "Black Hawk down" Most of those casualties there can be blamed on our statesmen in Washington, D.C.
    The liberals in the beltway in all their mighty wisdom(Kerry) denied our Delta force, RANGERS and Nightstalkers, Spectre gunships in the Mog.

Bush in office, you see them in use on the news almost every night.

Today we used some M59 Linear Demolition Charges to clear IDE's and roadside bombs. This thing is pretty cool. I watched it on the history channel about Desert Storm. It's used to clear mines and it looks like a 200-300 yard limp fire hose, except it's full of C-12. They shot one down a street in Fallujah today and it triggered 3 IDE's.

About the tanks, Israel uses them all the time(same tanks, minus upgrades) and they're the worlds best at street to street combat.

You can go to ogrish to see what happens to you when you get hit by a 50.cal from a tank.

You can go to ogrish to see what happens to you when you get hit by a 50.cal from a tank.
    Yeah I seen that pretty nasty stuff

U.S. forces reach center of Fallujah

FALLUJAH, Iraq - U.S. Army troops, Marines and some Iraqi forces punched their way through and past the center of Fallujah on Tuesday, but at least 3 U.S. soldiers lost their lives and more were wounded in battles with Sunni extremists.

The fighting in the city and elsewhere in Iraq has cost the United States at least 14 lives over the past two days, according to Pentagon figures. Eleven died on Monday, most in attacks outside Fallujah, marking the highest one-day U.S. toll in more than six months. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6403689/?GT1=5809