Thread: Security for Children

Security for Children

AO,

I have a friend that has a child that likes to disregard the rules for using their computer. My friend want to allow their child to use the computer because of its research capabilities but doesn't want the child instant messaging or looking up adult content etc... The machine has Windows XP Professional. Can someone please recommend a software package to install to "LOCK THE COMPUTER DOWN." I could go through and manually set all of the security policies but I haven't really done that before and I fear it would take to long.

Thanks as always
    neta1o
    ][ neta1o ][

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, the security policies, through the SCE, would be the best. How old is this child? And is the parent usually around when they are doing the research? Ideally, the parent should be there, working with the child while they are doing research. There are a few utilities like Net Nanny that can also provide some restrictions. Add a good hardware based firewall and you'll probably have it fairly tight for the child's account.

But remember, if someone has physical access, they can get full access.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Regal Making Handler
    But remember, if someone has physical access, they can get full access.
    This is a very good point and is why it is not recommended that children be allowed access to the internet from their bedroom. It is far more responsible to have the pc sited in a shared room, launge, living room. This way the child can be monitored and supervised.

You can lock the pc down install software like net nanny etc, if the child is left unsupervised they can, after gaining a little knowledge, undo all your precautions.

As for content filtering software, all the major Internet Security venders like Norton and McAffee include parental control features bundled with there software suites.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

There are a few utilities like Net Nanny that can also provide some restrictions. Add a good hardware based firewall and you'll probably have it fairly tight for the child's account.
    This is all very true ... but

A good password which you fill in without the kid seeing it , this might sound a bit obvious but a friend of mine filled in a password that was so obvious his seven year old son knew it within an hour ...yeah you guessed it ..the password was .. DAD

But seriously these kids today their very quick and very resourcefull.

So it is not only the hardware or the software ... you should also monitor the things you have installed or change the passwords regulary (obviously).

Just my 2 cents

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I would recumend Norton internet security . It has a very good filter. I use Norton and have never had a proplem with the parentel filter. Just keep it up to date. Hope this helps you.
    There is all way\'s one way to fix a computer. Our i think sow at least

www.americasarmy.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    I'd suggest 2 things - a Bios password, and locking the box up away from where the child can get to it.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Re: Security for Children

The computer has a bios password now to prevent the child from accessing it w/o permission. The computer is also being moved to the living room. I'm confident that this will prevent the majority of problems. With this in mind what is a good content filter?

NIS I've used but never tried the content filter.
    I don't like McAfee products

Thanks
    ][ neta1o ][

Instead of locking down the computer and blocking out the internet through filters and what not. Why not just sit the kid down, teach him some morals between what you feel is apropriate and what he is doing. I believe i know what he is accessing, and if you just discuss with him how it is in appropriate, and how you don't approve then the kid, if you have raised him properly will probably limit what he is doing.
    I think the child should be allowed to learn and shouldn't really be restricted. I mean if he is doing something you disprove of maybe he is just curious, and allow him to satisfy that curiosity, but make sure it just doesnt go beyond trying to learn new things. Don't stifle the kid but set boundaries.

Dead Man Walking
    Chris you bring up a valid point that i could also argue untill im blue in the face. As far as letting the child learn and be unrestricted... it is the parents RESPONSABILITY to restrict certain things that could have potential long term damaging effects on thier child. As a father of 3 i have to say that the last thing im going to do is allow my children to learn in an unstructured un supervised environment. I am not my childrens friend. I am my childrens father. It is my job to make sure they grow up to be the best people they possibly can. And that includes dicipline and teaching them to respect the fact that there are certain rules in life that should not be broken. Because no matter how old you are there are allways going to rules that you have to follow. If you don't.... you get nowhere in life. But you do have to start early with them. When my children become old enough to have thier own computers I know i will be able to trust them. Because they have it firmly planted in thier mind that to break daddy's trust is to suffer dire consequences.