View Poll Results: Brian Nichols - Would you fry this guY?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way Dude - Like, all life forms are too precious to wast dude?

3 12.00%
  • Not Likely - Executions should be reserved for planned, heinous crimes, not for the mentally insane..

0 0%
  • Probably - The death penalty is a serious decision, but is sometimes necessary for criminals that murder indescriminately, regardless of their mental state.

5 20.00%
  • Where is the &^$$#&^*%$^%#@ HANDLE?

17 68.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They say all the programming jobs are going to India...........

They say all the programming jobs are going to India...........

Is it true?

I dunno about programming ones .. but a lot of IT related jobs like helpdesk/call center ones are because they are cheaper to employ than Aussies

Well,

A few years ago I worked on a major project where the development work was sub-contracted to an Indian development outfit.

I said at the outset that it would be a disaster, and it was!

The first thing that concerned me was the communications window which is about 1 hour between the UK and India.

There is a definite language barrier. Sure you can teach people fluent English, but it is not technical and commercial English.

There is a very high staff turnover rate, as they mostly employ young graduates. For example this project involved around 60 of their staff, after 3 years there were only 2 of the original team left!!!

They have no-one to resolve issues on a day to day basis unless you spend a fortune on sending staff out there, and you cannot afford to lose senior people for prolonged periods. Anyway, my expenses over there would pay for a similar skilled programmer in the UK

They have no idea of foreign business requirements so the specs have to be so detailed, all you have done is move the costs somewhere else in the project budget.

I am sure that there will be those who will experiment with it and learn the hard way

Just my personal experience.......................

Interesting...

Not to mention taking jobs away from the country

I worked with two Indians who Immigrated to Canada. One had a degree from an Indian university, one from a Canadian university, both fairly bright people. There's been a history of developing nations hitting the tech point where they still have extremely lax labour laws, lower economies, yet mostly decent education programs, and thus large companies exploit it by outsourcing. IIRC the same thing happened about a decade ago with parts of Europe.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Your Job is Going to India You may find this site interesting, though it's not for the optimistic or faint of heart.

I think one key thing to keep in mind is to diversify your talents. Don't misunderstand....be good, be a very able programmer, however, you're much more valuable and competitive if you understand and have experience with the business side of IT, too. ITWorld has an article with some good advice on this subject.

The school where I work has more jobs for our programming (CIS) graduates than the number of graduates in that program.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

I don’t think Outsourcing programming jobs is a good option or they are being outsourced to such a extent that anybody should be concerned............

Most of the jobs that are currently being outsourced are Tech Support / Call Center based and some Programmers support too................ But mostly support based……...........….Microsoft , yahoo , Sony and all the big names have outsourced a big part of their Support jobs to India not programming…....................ofcourse some have them have made business partners and share work with them like Microsoft has Infosis ……...............Microsoft outsourcers some of their modules to them.

Outsourcing programming in a haste would be disastrous………….like Nihil said and would cost more programming needs lot of interaction between the programmers and the analyst and the end users……………and not to mention time it would take ; you cannot just tell the programmer to do this and that and just wait for them to get the finished product ready and then evaluate it in the end you would need a lot of interaction in between so you would have to bring the programmers and give them training with your business policies and environment (uhm Nihil UK govt. is going to Outsource the Railway ticketing )

The thing is some of the Indian companies like TCS and Stayam Infotech have the license to bid in US for Projects( I think they are the only Indian Companies that can bit in US directly )……….now what they do is they bid like half the price of what the other US based companies do and then they have a team ready of Indian programmers who they pick up form India provide them training in US ………… ……….I wouldn’t call that outsourcing or is it ?

Outsourcing programming jobs as such is not easy the odds are heavily against it

Not to mention taking jobs away from the country
    Hmmmmm i don't think that point has any relevence except for political discussion............G8 is the one pushing for globlisation.............lookign for global market .

Two sides of a coin

The thing of consern for me is people are going with the flow at one time go outsourse everything................. now stop it alltogether (and that can't happen).............. first check what' can be Outsourced and what cannot be outsourced..................outsourcing can be benificila if used properly

--Good Luck--

chsh - I didn't know such a website exists.

There seems to be more negative feedback about jobs being outsourced.

I didn't post the link soma, that was mathgirl.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?