Thread: Folders in Windows XP

Unhappy Folders in Windows XP

Hey,

Recently I've been fiddling around with the file extensions in Tools>Folder Options and changing icons. I had some fun, but when I applyed changes that was when the joy ended. When I opened a folder, it would pull up the search automatically. Fine, so I went back and fiddled with the options and added a command, open. Now when I open a folder it always opens another window. This got on my nerves until I had to solve it. A friend of mine told me this was the place to go, so please help.

Thanks in advance for the help (and actually reading this!).

Daryl

[EDIT] I tried checking all the 'Browse in same folder' checkboxes, but they either don't work or yield no result [/EDIT]

AO French Antique News Whore
    Tools/Options/General/Restore Defaults

Good luck
    -Simon \"SDK\"

No luck...I think my mistake was to actually go into Tools>Folder Options>File Types and edit the folder options there...Any ideas?

Thanks!

Daryl

When I go to File Types for Advanced under Folder I have Explore and Open. Under Advanced for File Folder I have Find.

Is this what you had changed? If it was maybe try changing it to what I have.

Maybe along the lines of what SDK suggested Tools>Options>View>Reset All Folders.

You didn't happen to create a system restore point before you started mucking around did you? If you did you should just be able to roll back.

Good luck.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Under File Folder I have find and open. Open is set as default (I set it when I tried to fix it). That's probably why. At least the mystery is solved. Any ideas how to delete the extra open I have in File Folder?

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Daryl

Personally I disable system restore, but if I'm gonna mess around with something I enable it just in case it goes wrong. As whatthe said, you can roll back your system if you had it enabled, but if you didn't.....

J_K9

P.S Daryl, you will learn from your mistakes. And also, as someone once told me, Google is your friend! Try searching for the problem, it's bound to come up.

Yea... I probably will not fix it. I have a bad habit of mucking my computers up without backing anything up then destroying them. Of course this is good in terms of computers I have to experiment with.

Thanks for all your help anyway!

Daryl

P.S.On the other hand, my old computers are very useful...(combined with the power of Linux, that is)