Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard drive question

And for first prize....

The name of the "Tool".. And Can you find out what the other HDD was PLEASE.. Yours was a MAxtor.. what model or at least the size.

oh yeh if the Program went in the bin after your HDD was replaced.. how did ya give it to your Boss?

Comment

If you can lock a hdd, for software access, by writting to its BIOS.. surley you can cause other problems by writting bad data to the HDD BIOS..
    IF you don't know what I mean by this, a couple of months ago I posted a question on XBOX HDD's.. ..
    I have had a couple of HDD's in with "click of death" there seem to be 2 causes, first is failure of the spindle motor, the other.. controller card.. BTW; these drives were Seagate's 20G
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

i have no idea what hard drive was in the computer at work. there were many and it only affected the one it was installed on. i threw the disc out after the second hard drive failure happened at work later because i didn't want anyone installing it ever. the program was just an adobe graphics program and my hard drive was an 80gig ultra DMA maxtor.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted here by maez
    yes... his was a slow and painful death (and I made sure to put him out of his misery with a stab from a screwdriver, more out of anger than compassion).

That was helpful (and scary) information, thanks. I didn't know to what extent mere code could potentially do damage.
    No problem,
    allthough it is possible that the diskfailure is by coincidence, it would be interesting to look at that tool, were the two disks Maxtor disks?

oops this was already asked...

Since it was an adobe tool, probably the medium used (cd, floppy,...) was the cause, I can't imagine that adobe would damage hdd's. If the 2 disks are from a different brand and type then it was either:
    a: coincidence of normal failure.
    b: a virus with the capability to render hdd's useless without the need of one specific model.
    c: something else, like voltage or magnetic problems.

Another question:

I installed a program given to me by a friend
    Does your friend still use the program? have they had any problems?

allthough it is possible that the diskfailure is by coincidence, it would be interesting to look at that tool, were the two disks Maxtor disks?
    AND
    Does your friend still use the program? have they had any problems?
    Coincidence is the situation.. In your first post you said..
    It ran fine for a couple months and one day while using it, my computer crashed bad.
    I don't know why I missed it.. You were useing the prog for a couple of months..
    How long did you Boss use the program before the HDD Failure?
    A sudden failure of the HDD of any sort even a simple bad sector will "Crash Badly"your system..

While I am not ruling out Malware.. I place it a 95% Certainty that it is a coincedence for your situation.
    An as the program was warez.. regardles if your friend d/l it or owned it outright.. once he passed it on to you It must have been a burnt CD.. meaning you had a pirated copy anyhow.. NOT ORIGINAL CD.. SUSPECT PIRATE COPY..
    And your Boss he is also a pirate
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr