Thread: Autoexec problem

Autoexec problem

I just downloaded the autoinstaller for Carom3D, and if I double click it a messsage comes up saying:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The file system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
    I have tried running it in compatibility mode with Win 95/98, NT SP5, and 2000. Nothing. The same message just comes up again and again. Clicking 'Ignore' just closes it too, so can someone please tell me what is wrong, or if there is any way to fix this? I know that it is compatible with Windows XP, from the info on the site. It has happened to me on another occasion with an installer for another program. Anyway, a quick reply would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

[EDIT]

Maybe it is the fact that the autoinstaller downloads the program from ftp, which I cannot access? But I don't think so....

[/EDIT]

J_K9

Hey Hey,

The joys of the 16-Bit Subsystem Error... I fix this probably a dozen times a day at work.... I'd run virus and malware scans as that's what this error is usually attributed to (at least in the cases we've seen)..

Anyways.... this is a rather easy fix..

Insert your Windows XP CD (assuming d
    Open Command Prompt (cmd)
    Run These commands:
    expand d:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
    expand d:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    expand d:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

Modifiy any paths as you need to... You can find config.nt and autoexec.nt in your c:\windows\repair folders.. and you can just copy them over.. however that's only two of the files....

You really should have searched google... you would have found this answer rather quickly... even if you had just pasted what you quoted.. It would have actually taken less effort than searching here.

Peace,
    HT

Thanks HTRegz for your help, I just assumed google would just turn up results linking to Microsoft with them saying something about how AUTOEXEC.NT is so good and all that bs... Thanks for your help though.

J_K9