Armistice Day

Thread: Armistice Day

Armistice Day

"I think I am trying to clear my head of all the junk in there--the *******s, the flags, the underpants. Yes--there is a picture in this book of underpants. I am throwing out characters from my other books, too. I'm not going to put on any more puppet shows.

I think I am trying to make my head as empty as it was when I was born onto this damaged planet fifty years ago.

I suspect that this is something most white Americans, and nonwhite Americans who imitate white Americans, should do. The things other people have put into my head, at any rate, do not fit together nicely, are often useless and ugly, are out of proportion with one another, are out of proportion with life as it really is outside my head.

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy...all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

Armistice Day has become Veterans’ Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans’ day is not.

So I will throw Veterans’ Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don’t want to throw away any sacred things.

What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.

And all music is.”

-Kurt Vonnegut Jr (Born Nov.11,1922) - Breakfast of Champions
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

********** |ceWriterguy
    How can I disagree diplomatically without causing a flame war in this thread? A couple of sentences expressing my point of view.

Veterans are people who were willing to lay their lives on the line to protect those things you hold most dear. From the time of the American Revolution, patriots have pledged 'their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honour' on your behalf. There is *ONE* day a year when people actually thank them for their sacrifice. Veterans Day. Yes, it's also Armistice day, which is nothing more than the day celebrating the end of world war 1. Veteran's day encompasses ALL patriots, during war or peace. I know of nothing more sacred than that.

As a veteran, I am extremely offended by your comments regarding this holiday. The fact that I put my life on the line to defend your right to express them should count for something, shouldn't it? Or have you, in your viewpoints discounted the fact that 'Our freedoms must, from time to time, be refreshed by the blood of patriots.' ?

I'm quite certain there's not a single person born in these United States who isn't related to or knows someone who served - is it not right to honor them for that service? We willingly share our one day a year with those who didn't stand in combat or who served in other ways - I for one honor policemen and firemen, and count them among the numbers of veterans I know, for although they didn't fight for our freedoms on foreign soil, they fought (and fight) nonetheless in the day to day battle that rages within our own borders.

I protected your freedom. I'll be damned if I try to convince you beyond that. Go ahead and deface this too. In a nation completely lacking in respect for others, you'll fit right in.

[edit] I always did enjoy attacking Vonnegut.[/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    3rd Rock from Sun
    There is *ONE* day a year when people actually thank them for their sacrifice. Veterans Day. Yes, it's also Armistice day, which is nothing more than the day celebrating the end of world war 1.
    Sorry |3lack|ce :
    But Armistice Day is to celebrate the end of the war to end ALL wars.

And when I was at school 40 years back, we ALL bought our poppy, and we ALL stood silent for that minute at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month.

Nowadays we have WHITE poppies [WTF] from peacniks who would and DO disparage all that was risked and lost by those that went before us.

I believe that the moral decline seen by our great nations has been hastened by those who despise the men who died to allow them to spout their filth and propoganda.

As a reminder to those who no longer understand what was lost, read the poem linked to below :

It includes the passage :

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

and as a final message :
    Old soldiers never die : Just YOUNG ones.
    Paratroops never die : They just go to Hell to re-group.

Veterans day is for the American dead. Armistice day is for ALL those who gave their today for our tomorrow.

And if you re-read the original post, I can't see anything against those who put it on the line, rather, there is a call to remember the past as it was once remembered.

55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Well, as I see things over here we have Armistice Day (11.11.11) which commemorates the end of WWI.

The following Sunday is Remembrance Sunday which is for WWI, WWII, Korea and all the other conflicts since then.

Basically this has become more popular than Armistice day, firstly because it is on a Sunday when most people aren't at work, and secondly because there aren't many WWI veterans left.