Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to know if this email is legit

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I need to know if this email is legit

I have a capitol one credit card and i was sent an email saying my online statement was ready which is normal but, i noticed that the email address was this:capitalone@capitalone.bfi0.com and this was also there: service.TATH06BFA241DBECF707AB4E30EF...alone.bfi0.com

are those legit? im a little nervous... it asked me to log on but i havent yet...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Well, this isnt a surefire way of seeing if an email is legit, but one good red-flag is this....
    does the email start with "dear valued customer" or "dear (insert your name here) ?

chances are, if they cant give you your name, or the the last four digits of your credit card, its NOT legit.

hope this helps, im sure someone else will have some more insight than me. just my first guesses.

-z3

they do mention the last 4 digits of my account number and it seems to look legit but, i just want to be as sure as i can before i do anything... last time i got this email im not sure what it said because i dont remember checking but it comes thru my email on a monthly basis.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hmmm.
    well, i chances of them getting a random email with the last 4 digits of your account # arent all that good....but again, I am no security expert. Can you take a screenshot of the email?

-z3

how do u take a screenshot? with a digital camera?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hit the printscreen button on your keyboard and then "paste" it to an image program.. be careful though if the e-mail contains your credit card infor.. it might be stolen here..

oh i figured it out thanx... i called capitol one support and asked what was up and they verified a few things for me and it turns out the email WAS legit... they just use really long addresses lol. well thanx anyway!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Just open the image (after you use printscreen) in Paint or Photoshop, black out your credit card number and anything else you might not want us to see, and post the image...I dont know what all i can get from this, but someone will have some info here. As far as i can tell, it sounds to be legit so far because

a) they know your last 4 digits
    b) you DO get this email monthly (correct?)

But, this doesnt mean it is legit. We'll do the best to help you.

-z3

well, its good that you verified the email before taking the link. :-D

dont give us a screen shot as it will probably have important, private, information in it. If you are curious you should close out all windows and then go to capital ones website and login and do whatever you have to do from there. As stated before, normally companies will address you by Dear First Last name, blah blah. Not dear insert anything else here. I would be weary if it is a different email than what you normally get and I would report it to capital one. Worst case scenario is they tell you that its them and thats that. On that same hand you may be saving someone elses butt by letting them know.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

well i wont send a screenshot but i do think now its legit i think they just use long scrambled emails for protection but i have always just checked my creditcard stuff from their site and i will continue to do so.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted