Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to know if this email is legit

********** |ceWriterguy
    Tex, the surest way to know if it's from them or not is to call them. Pick up your phone and call customer service. Explain that you've received a questionable email or two in their name and you want to verify that it was indeed them that sent it.

Luck to you!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Ninja Code Monkey
    Why not just delete the email and type www.capitalone.com in your web browser?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Regal Making Handler
    Why not just delete the email and type www.capitalone.com in your web browser?
    This is probably the best piece of advice i have seen here for a long time. How many times have we all seen the adage, "never click hyperlinks in side emails".

Always type the url into the address bar to get to your bank, this way you reduce the chances of finding your self faced with a fake web page.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I did call them and i did delete the email and log on normally. so hopefully i wont have anymore problems... but i did find out the email was legit. thanx for all ur help.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I get crap like this all the time from things like PayPal (suposedly). First off, I never trust them or click anything. Second, look at the raw source of the message. Take a look at the IPs in the header (where your mail server got it from, etc, etc). Finally, look at where the link is in the message, usually you'll notice it's an IP and not a hostname (a big red flag). Anyways, best advice has already been offered, don't click anything.