Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get password files, but machine doesn't boot from CD

Trying to get password files, but machine doesn't boot from CD

I'm trying to copy the SAM and system files from a machine. However, this machine doesn't boot from bootable CD's, nor from floppy disks. Is there any other way? The computer runs under Win 2000 server I believe.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Assuming it's your machine to play with.....

Change the BIOS settings.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

rename the sam file with a bootfloppy (ntfs pro) or dos, and boot up, the system will have no accounts anymore, except the admin and guest, and both passwords are cleared... THIS ONLY WORKS ON 2000, XP HAS A DEFENSE AGAINST THIS

Tiger~ is absolutely correct (as usual the boring old fart )

The BIOS is telling the machine to boot from the hard drive (C:\)

You will need to change the boot sequence, or remove the HDD and deal with it as a slave on another machine.

Cheers

Tiger~ is absolutely correct (as usual the boring old fart )

The BIOS is telling the machine to boot from the hard drive (C:\)

You will need to change the boot sequence, or remove the HDD and deal with it as a slave on another machine.

Cheers
    that is correct, but perhaps he has forgotten his bios password, who knows. i still assume it is HIS system tho.

if he has forgotten it, he need to reset the password, but that would be a completely other question...

Re: Trying to get password files, but machine doesn't boot from CD

Originally posted here by Kezman
    I'm trying to copy the SAM and system files from a machine. However, this machine doesn't boot from bootable CD's, nor from floppy disks. Is there any other way? The computer runs under Win 2000 server I believe.
    Login as Administrator, install another OS onto the same partition (ie: WinXP in \WinXP instead of \WinNT), then boot with that new OS, copy the files off. Quite a lengthy process yes, but doable.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Boot using knopix and try accessing /dev1/, look for the sam file, copy it and crack it in another machine.

Boot using knopix and try accessing /dev1/, look for the sam file, copy it and crack it in another machine.
    that is exactly his problem! he cannot boot from CD!

Boot using knopix
    rename the sam file with a bootfloppy
    doh!!!!!
    Kezman: "this machine doesn't boot from bootable CD's, nor from floppy disks. "
    Pretty common practice in a work environment.
    The computer runs under Win 2000 server I believe.

Kezman

If it's your machine, Tiger Shark's, Nihil's, and CHSH's assistance will be sufficient.

nuff said from my grouchy ole pie hole,

arrrrrrrggggg
    Connection refused, try again later.

I completely forgot to mention that the BIOS has a password, and I don't know it. So I can't make any changes to the setting.
    So even though the computer doesn't boot from CD, I can use an XP Pro disk for instance, to copy the required files?
    Iv'e also heard something bout a emergency rescue disk or something, does Win 2000 server/advanced server have one of those?