Thread: Perl Vs C++

Perl Vs C++

Hey all

Im just about to start development work on a project with several friends.

My question here is what advantages / disadvantages and what are the differences between Perl and C++ in terms of development.

Its just we have a programm written in Perl designed to run on Posix ( unix, linux, bsd etc ) and are planning to develop other applications as part of it to run on windows systems.

Is it worth rewritting the code from Perl to C++ ?

Thanks

Ninja Code Monkey
    Erm, if you don't know already then I'd recommend actually looking it up. Opinions on this forum will vary, most will not be educated, and very few will actually be relevant to your project.

The first part of any project should be research into the best technologies to use to implement your solution and analysis/design of the solution itself.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Windows is theoretically POSIX compliant.
    There may be minor environmental changes to make, but by and large you can port your perl directly over and it should run fine (assuming Windows really is POSIX compliant).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?