few questions aboot: remote admin and A+ cert.

Thread: few questions aboot: remote admin and A+ cert.

Blast From the Past

few questions aboot: remote admin and A+ cert.

question 1: How do i set up either remote admin with Xserver

Or

how to set up a network filesystem visible to windows and linux

i plan to hold my own small server for when i play unreal or counter-strike and games of the like...but i also plan to have a webserver up 224/7...i would like to get the box out of my room as to reduce heat and noise...so i plan to move it right next to my cable modem in our garage *climate controlled...no worries*...i dont want to have a monitor or keyboard hooked up so i just want the box to run as it is but be able to log in from my comps in my room using ssh....i know how to set up ssh but i wish to be able to copy files from my comp in my room over the network and upload them...i figured i could just use an ftp server and then use gftp to transfer the files back and fourth...but my friend brought up the fact of a network filesystem....he didnt specify if it was compatible to winXP and linux but i presume they are....i would like to set up one of these methods...i could manage the ftp server but i use vsftp and never managed to learn how to make user accounts.....but i would rather use the nfs method so i could share files amongst my house for all to enjoy

question 2: what is A+ certification?

i have heard my friend talk about A+ and untill i recently droped by Borders i thought it was an advanced programming language...but i was looking at the books they had and it seemd like it was getting your degree at being a computer guru.....

if someone could please enlighten me on what is A+ cert. , how do i get certified, and what do need to know to pass the exam i would be very thankfull

thank you for your time all
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Banned
    Answer 2: A+ is a certificate issued by COMPTIA (Computing Technology Industry Association)

What you need to know for A+ is core hardware and operating systems. In practice: learn all the different types of CPU's by head, learn all the different RAM modules, learn how a CD player works,... that kinda stuff (for the hardware part). For the OS part, you must know the installation, configuration, diagnosis, maintenace,... of all Windows OS's.

I'm A+ certified, and I think it's the most over-rated, stupid certificate around. All you need to be able to do to get an A+ is memorize... It's supposed to be the equivalent of 500 hours of hands-on experience, but anyone with a good memory can pass it (and trust me: you'll need a darn good memory... there's a lot of stuff to study).

A+ is the most basic all-around computer certificate out there. It's probably useful when you go look for a job, but that's about it...

That's just my opinion, of course

Here's the official CompTIA site: CompTIA.

AOs Resident Troll
    AFAIK

A+ is a hardware cert....

mainly that you know and understand the different hardware devices, how to clock cpu speeds, memory, and work with various BIOSes how to assemble a box,
    and not to damage it when installing\changing\upgrading various components...like with a static charge.

Handy cert...cause in my experience........most times when you have trouble with a machine and are unable to resolve with updated drivers etc
    ...it all comes down to the hardware

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO French Antique News Whore
    A+ is not a ONLY a hardware certification! Negative explain what it and it a very good answer! For myself, I think A+ as the basic entry technician certification! Something to put a feet in the computer industry!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hey Hey,

Question 1:

You could easily setup VNC... it works well with both *nix and Windows... most *nix distrobutions even come with VNC these days... You could also get a Windows client to connect to your X Server.. Check out http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html#XMicrosoft for a rather complete list of cilents...

I would recommend you stick with just SSH... getting into the GUI is a waste of time... for file copies you can use SCP/SFTP... You can download a great SCP/SFTP client in WinSCP... That way you have WinSCP and SSH and it's nice and quick to do everything....

If you want to do remote file sharing, you could install and configure samba on the *nix system.... Then you are using Server Message Blocks.... You could also use Network File System.. If you decide to travel this route.. you'll have to install NFS support on Windows... The easiest way to do this is with Services for Unix 3.5 from Microsoft... One of the greatest pieces of software MS has released and oddly enough completely free..

So you have two choices if you want file shares instead of just FTP/SCP/SFTP....
    1. Use NFS and install SFU on Windows
    2. Use SMB and install Samba on Windows.

Question 2:

A+ has already been explained to you quite well by Negative... I think that's all that's left to say is this:

This cert is great if you want to work in the tech support center at Futureshop or Best Buy... After all it's all they base their hiring on (hence why you get the worlds worst support)... But it is a completely useless certification and a waste of your time.. If you need help with Windows... (to the extent that A+ covers) then you aren't going to be able to do A+ (read the Windows 2000 Server Bible and it'll cover everything and then some.. )... If you are interested in hardware.. pick up Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs 16th Edition... It's the most indepth and amazing book I've ever seen on this topic..

If you are really interested in the A+... I've got a textbook in the back corner of my closet that covers everything and does it quite well.. I can pull it out, dust it off and get you the ISBN off it so you can go look it up on Amazon.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    I second Scott Mueller's book. I picked it up about two months ago, and it covers everything and then some...
    Oh, and don't forget about the A+ for dummies book. It covers everything you need to know, but that's about it.

Blast From the Past
    i wish to use the nfs track and am researching for means of setting up nfs on linux but services for unix isnt compatible wit xp home....any ideas as an alternative?
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger