Formatting HDD

Thread: Formatting HDD

Banned

Formatting HDD

I have a 40 gb hdd with a 30,10 partition on which 30 is primary having 98 os and 10 is logical having xp os. My 98 got corrupted and i have to reinstall it without even slightly losing data on xp.
    how can i safely do that.
    I have heard that the drivers for 98 are to be loaded manually.
    How to go about that.
    Please help.
    Thanx

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

[quote[My 98 got corrupted and i have to reinstall[/quote]

Do you want a repair Install or a clean install of windows 98.?

For a repair install just Boot the Computer form windows 98 CD and reinstall the windows 98 ( one thing to be kept in mind is this should be the same CD you did the win98 install earlier ...........this is to make sure that it is the same verson of 98 .).................after the reinstall everything should be fine ................except the fact that you will find Windows Xp missing .................Don't worry it would be there just hiding because windows 98 will take over the Master Boot Record (MBR).................there are various ways to get it back i prefer is doing a partial install ...................boot again form windows 98 bootable CD put the Windows XP CD in and start the setup let the setup copy files to start the windows XP setup and then it prompts to restart and the windows XP srtup will actually start .................don't let it start because we are done .............when it restarts you will see three options on the startup

Windows 98
    Windows Xp
    Windows Xp repair/install

see we are done .............you can remove the Last option by editing the Boot.ini.

It wouldn't reinstall up do a kind of repair Install keeping all the files and progras intact.

I have heard that the drivers for 98 are to be loaded manually.
    You might b prompted for device Drivers.............generally it loads them itself..............like i always have to manually install the Sound Card in my system when doing a install.(it's a old PC).............There must be a driver CD that must have been provided to you by the PC vendor.?.............Do one thing before attempting the repair install just write down you Sound Card Driver info and Video Card Driver Info on a paper it will help you locate the driver(open their properties and write down the driver info like for Video Trident 3D Image 90112 soemthing or whatever)...............My computer is on the older side so i have to that .

One thig you should keep in mind ............when doing somethign like installing a OS expect and prepare for the worse...........so backup your absolute critical data before attampting this ................something unexpected might happen ............it does happen sometimes to me ................so lets hope all goes well ..............And use the same Windows 98 and windows XP CD's that were used to install before

--Good Luck--

Dead Man Walking
    What manner of coruption are we talking about? Is it virus related? If it is you might want to consider torching both partitions. Of course part of that depends on what FS you are using on each partiton. Its not hard to guess that the 98 is FAT32 but what is the XP under. Im just concerened that the xp partiton may have become corupted in the process. I gotta go with sword_fish on the back up before you start. Maybe a little better explanation would help us help you

AntiOnline n00b
    Heya ZomBieMann77 ,

I belive this is the cause ......................he posted this thread twice(maybe he was in too much of a hurry ).....................and it offended people so much that people didn't help him and negged him so bad he went form 1 green dot to About to being banned list .

People here need to chill out a bit ......................they are getting offended on pretty small things ............ //me gives evryone a nooge

And yes i belive repair install will take care of it .

--Good Luck--

Dead Man Walking
    Yea a repair should fix that. It might take a little doing but it can be done. But let this be a lesson to you. The saying goes if you dont know what it is dont run it. Well if you dont know what it is dont delete it untill you've researched it. Of course you have probably figured that out. Im curious as to why the dual boot windows 98 /xp.