Indecency fears hit US television
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indecency fears hit US television

Indecency fears hit US television

While browsing the BBC's web site I can across this little story

More than 20 TV stations across the US have cancelled a broadcast of Saving Private Ryan over fears they could be fined for its violence and language.
    BBC source

US broadcasting regulators have launched a crackdown on bad language on television and radio.
    The Federal Communications Commission ruled that NBC violated a federal law when broadcasting an expletive by U2 singer Bono during an awards ceremony.
    BBC source

Already after the Janet Jackson affaire most live shows, in the states, are no longer live but aired with a time lag of 10 to 15 seconds to make it easier to censor. Was the janet jackson affaire indecent or just blown out of proportion and who deciedes that something is indecent?

Is a 10 second view of janets right ti* worth a fine of 500,000$?

Are we going to see a hollywood that is obliged to be more morally correct in the films made?

And if recent events are anything to go by, Hollywood appears to have taken note.
    Pixar's box office hit The Incredibles has a moral message

"I think the mood of the nation has been read more distinctly by Hollywood - certainly the mood of Hollywood has changed," said Ted Baehr, Chairman of the Christian Film and Television Commission.

"I'm happy anytime Hollywood decides it's going to be more responsible."

Mr Baehr, who publishes a family-focused film publication, MovieGuide, explained that Hollywood is producing more films with positive Christian references.

The current US box office hit, animation movie The Incredibles, has a strong conservative theme that champions the defenders of justice and the sanctity of marriage.

The film studios have a clear financial incentive to ride the crest of any morality wave. It is a trend that is likely, ultimately, to be embraced by foreign markets.
    BBc source

How far will it go?
    How much more are the television and radio stations going to be forced to crack down on "indecency"?
    Is americain television and radio going to become a bastion of high moral standards watched over by the angels of the Federal Communications Commission or is it just a phase?
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Oh please. The amount of crap that appears on US television. It strikes me as hypocritical that they won't show a movie like Saving Private Ryan but it's ok to show the devastion of war or cops beating some kid (ever watch Cops?). Heck, professional sports are rather violent last time I checked but with the NHL out, that's rather tame. I suppose MTV is exempt from all this on their shows.

The FCC only responds to what it's told to respond to by various groups.

The film studios have a clear financial incentive to ride the crest of any morality wave. It is a trend that is likely, ultimately, to be embraced by foreign markets.
    Crap and BS. I bet when The Passion of the Christ goes for public viewing they'll allow it. It's a good Christian moral story.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO

The american media has been censored since Bush came into power and 911..

Its news media is "fear mongering"..and the Bush administration is squashing stories.

Such as not showing injured or dead from the war on Iraq...or is it the war on Osama...or the war on terrorism...I am so confused what this war is actually about
    (OIL)

Also squashing music videos...such as Incubuses Meglomanic...not allowing it on daytime rotation cause of its anti bush sediments....It was only allowed on MTV between the hours of 2-6am....

From up north here...I think the US is being feed huge propaganda...scaring the american people into supporting this war..

And now this with Saving Private Ryan......

I guess they dont want to scare all the young kids signing up for the reserves.....or else they will have to reinstae the draft

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Such as not showing injured or dead from the war on Iraq...
    Actually, that's not true. I've seen "dead people" on CNN. They have a reporter that's part of the group that surrounded and took over Fallujah. And when one group got stopped by one insurgent, eventually taking him over, the reporter was showing pictures of the dead insurgent (I distinctly remember his hand with flecks of blood on it).

I won't doubt however that there is some censorship as they want to avoid another Vietnam and the realities of war being seen.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsMittens, I believe what he was referring to was the lack of showing injured or dead US soldiers. Mr. Bush would have us believe it's only the insurgents getting bloody and dead.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AOs Resident Troll
    MsMittens, I believe what he was referring to was the lack of showing injured or dead US soldiers. Mr. Bush would have us believe it's only the insurgents getting bloody and dead.
    Yes ..you are right ...thats what I meant

Actually, that's not true. I've seen "dead people" on CNN. They have a reporter that's part of the group that surrounded and took over Fallujah. And when one group got stopped by one insurgent, eventually taking him over, the reporter was showing pictures of the dead insurgent (I distinctly remember his hand with flecks of blood on it).
    I "Think" MSMittens is being.....sarcastic here

Crap and BS. I bet when The Passion of the Christ goes for public viewing they'll allow it. It's a good Christian moral story.
    MsMittens....I totally agree with you here on The Passion of The Christ....

I recently saw this movie...I think there was more blood in it the Saving Private Ryan...

But then again...there was no foul language in The Passion of the Christ

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Most media that would favor Bush is "censored” by those in control of the mega stations. I think Janet was blown way out of proportion. The DIFFERENCE being; When you watch Saving Private Ryan you know it's a war movie and you can make a choice to see it. Everyone knows the first 20 minutes of the film is an amazing account of D day and the invasion of Normandy. Or as the media would put it today, the "occupation" of France. And if one is clueless about its content, American media broadcasts a warning before each segment "Warning mature content, viewing discretion is advised."

At the half time show there was a huge surprise to see an UGLY tit during a football game. The real issue is the producers most likely knew in advance that she was going to show her saggy nasty teet. So the FCC sent a warning to back down. The fallout from Private Ryan is just a backlash from the producers getting pissed at the fine. Bottom line, football games are about football and if you want to show Britney Spears' new boob job a family oriented Disney movie or a football game probably isn't a good choice and if you get fined, suck it up. There have been MANY cases in American Television history where strong and passionate movies were shown unedited with content warnings and after a certain time of day. It's either 9 or 10 pm when the FCC relaxes its rules. If you don't like what’s on national broadcast television, there are 500 more channels to choose from.

The stories I see being squashed are intelligence reports about what Saddam was doing with the Food for Oil that came out yesterday, which countries are involved and how corrupt the United Nations is. In addition only bad news comes out of Iraq, if Bush controlled the media then he's an idiot. Let's see then there is STILL Sandy Burger, no media there. And the political climate in Iran, along with the huge financial sector of European countries with ties to Iran. Also the hypocracy of christian discrimination while supporting the indoctrination of muslim tradition into American culture when those tradition are religious in nature. Next, when was the last time American media supported stories on border control that did not paint enforcement officers as evil? And lastly ANY news that the economy is strong or a foreign country actually supports some things we, as a nation, do. Oh and there are other major muslim conflicts in the world, not a peep. In a Bush controlled world 60 Minutes would be hammering these issues. My humble opinion of course.

Finally, war dead. The left want's to show them. Their motivation is political. They want people to see them and cry foul and drop support for violent action against another nation. The right wants to respect them and hide the reality of war and keep moral high among the youth over there fighting and their parents back home. Good or bad, they both seem. The effect of a dead body or a casket has a different effect on someone based on their "stuff". To a liberal it's a tragedy. To a conservative it's a hero.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Road all true but that still leaves us with the main issue of my original post - Is America becoming more puritan? It is not weather the film to save the soldier ryan is a political statement and as such should be censored by one side or the other it is more about a number of television stations not screening the film because they were worried about being fined. It is about the fact that a 10 second flash of a breast or the use of as in Bonos case one explative can not only get you sanction but also heavily fined. Also most of the so called live transimissions are not truely live but time lagged just in case some one says fucbleep on air. This is more aimed at the moral implications on who decides what is acceptable rather than the political question of who is controlling who?

if Bush controlled the media then he's an idiot.
    I thought you knew he is an idiot . sorry that was too irrestiable.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just like Janets tossing a close up of her breast on TV, the reaction to the reaction is blown out of proportion. Is American becoming more puritan? Not a chance. We are on a slow moral decay to the side of liberalism. We are becoming more like Europe and Europe is becoming more like us.

\\EDIT To be honest I never thought there was a live feed, I thought they were all lagged. It was considered to be the modes operani of Live TV when I was a child. At least that is what I understood it to be.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I have long disagreed with our society's censorship of sex and violence in the media. We are a nation of great strength, yet our own societal pressures keep such enforcement in place. All over Europe, and in most other countries, if a person wants to get naked at the beach, he can, without so much as a second glance from others. In Germany in particular, one may do so in a public park on his lunch hour and again not be noticed. In Japan, communal bathing is quite common. In fact, they have a really cool saying - "Nudity is often seen, but rarely noticed." To apply this back to the media, I challenge each and every one of you to watch a game show on Italian television sometime, where the contestants compete in trivia, and the loser has to do a strip tease for the audience. Many will say it's 'sinful' or 'morally corrupting' to us to view such images on our televisions. I say to them in advance that they might as well throw away their computers and disconnect HBO from their cable. Ok, Janet showed us a little tit on tv - (not an appealing one, but hey, if you're into that sort of thing...). I distinctly remember an episode of NYPD Blue where a certain pudgy little actor got away with showing his bum. The word 'bitch' is now rampant across virtually all shows aired after 8pm, and it's quite common to see homosexual and lesbian couples kissing nowadays. When will we get over the prudishness?

Why does America have such a hang up with nudity? If we saw it commonly in our daily lives, it would become commonplace, and wouldn't shock and excite us so much. Who really cares if college students run the naked mile, if nude joggers are seen in parks each morning? Who would help build a multimillion dollar empire out of 'girls gone wild' if women ran around topless during recreation?

Just a few things to ponder...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!