Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to suggest to your employer they need an upgrade

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

How to suggest to your employer they need an upgrade

Hi, my question is this: I work at a resturant and i found out that there computer system runs windows 98 ( not secure!) on a pc out in the open for anyone to access if they want. well i dont know what kind of info is on the computer but its oviously not secure, so how can i tell my employer that it would be wise to upgrade to XP or something else with good password and file protection? i think they are pretty comfortable with what they have but i would be willing to load XP on for them... i just want to make sure they are ok with it and that i can back everything up correctly lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Are you sure they are open for everyone ? Are you sure they have internet acces, i work at a restauraunt too, they run windows 98, no internet acces but they can recieve e-mail from corporate or other restaraunts, i guess it's an intranet ....ask them first if they have a firewall etc, then suggest that they can get in trouble or that the employees social security numbers, addresses, credit card numbers, phone mumbers and other private information is free for anyone to access ....
    O.G at A.O

what i meant by that is that the computer is in an open area for anyone to access if they wish ( i guess but i have never tried) i dont know what is on it or, if it has internet access... im pretty sure they dont have a firewall but not positive. all i am worried about is the level of security for them.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

OK Tex, here goes:

i found out that there computer system runs windows 98 ( not secure!) on a pc out in the open for anyone to access if they want.
    Win98 is not a secure operating system as such, HOWEVER no OS is secure if you allow unrestricted physical access.

"Out in the open" might in fact be a defence in itself, as anyone using it can be seen by everyone else?

The real issues are:
    1. What is it being used for?
    2. What data does it contain (security/confidentiality)
    3. Does it connect to the internet? If so, how?
    4. How business critical is it?

Simply changing the operating system will do very little for you. You need to address the other aspects such as:

1. Authorised usage policy
    2. Firewall
    3. Antivirus
    4. IDS
    5. Anti Trojan
    6. Anti Spyware/Adware
    7. Backups

I strikes me as rather strange that in an affluent and technologically aware part of the World, someone would be using a Win98 box for anything but the most trivial activities?

The way to "sell" in your environment is going to be legal compliance (confidential data), business criticality (how long can you live without it) and the importance of the data being stored on it.

You really need to find out more

Re: How to suggest to your employer they need an upgrade

Originally posted here by The Texan
    Hi, my question is this: I work at a resturant and i found out that there computer system runs windows 98 ( not secure!) on a pc out in the open for anyone to access if they want. well i dont know what kind of info is on the computer but its oviously not secure, so how can i tell my employer that it would be wise to upgrade to XP or something else with good password and file protection? i think they are pretty comfortable with what they have but i would be willing to load XP on for them... i just want to make sure they are ok with it and that i can back everything up correctly lol.
    Before assuming you can just go and upgrade to XP, you should do the following:
    - Clear it with whomever runs the restaurant. Talk it over with them, and ask them why it's running 98 in an inoffensive way, don't assume it's BAD to run Win98, or say they are wrong to run it (a CLM). It may be a simple finances issue.
    - Thoroughly examine the applications being used by the PC to ensure it isn't running software that will cease to function under XP.

Keep in mind that just because it's "out in the open" doesn't mean it's completely available for everyone to walk up to and use.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Win98 is not a secure operating system as such, HOWEVER no OS is secure if you allow unrestricted physical access.
    Out of the box Win98 is more remotely secure than XP.

I strikes me as rather strange that in an affluent and technologically aware part of the World, someone would be using a Win98 box for anything but the most trivial activities?
    Well, there are a myriad of reasons to do so. Legacy software support, for instance. The statement that 98 isn't secure is also ignorant, 98 can be made decently secure via several Microsoft-provided tools if you know what you're doing. A far cry from a secured XP box for sure, however it's also not the wide open system that people seem to think it is.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Tex,

Try this link, it should tell you if the machine is compatible with XP............you also need to look at the hardware as some older stuff doesn't have XP drivers.

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa011007b.htm

Also look at the minimum requirements......................it could be that Windows 2000 is a better option if the machine is pretty old.

I think one of the first things you should do is find out what is on the machine (data). There is a good possibility there is nothing of any value on the computer. That may be the reason they have not gone through the time and expense of upgrading it. If there is important or sensitive data on the system, then you have a starting point for outlining the risks to you boss.

Cheers:
    DjM

thanx for the help guys... i just said 98' isnt secure because i know that you can bypass the password protection by just clicking "cancel" but in XP that isnt possible... your right though i do need to find out more about this box, i will talk to my boss.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

If you bring it up, keep in mind you've probably just become the restaurant's IT fixer. Most people are fine with that but it can get annoying.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

lol im just a host at the resturant but if they want to pay me more to fix computer issues sure i will :-) :-)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted