Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tick-tock...

Regal Making Handler
    Your average "Joe Blow" isn't up-to-date on technology, isn't savvy nor ever will be on computer software, doesn't have the first iota of a clue considering the internet and definitely isn't wanting to spend one dollar more on anything involving that computer he/she/it just got from Best Buy.
    This is somewhat, what I was trying to say.

All of us here, have an interest in, what is happening on the internet. As such we learn............. Alot of us have learnt from experiance that if we take a brand new box, install XP, that we brought with our hard earned cash a while ago. Then install and go on line, we will be infected with some ****. This will happen befor we can even get to winupdate.

Why should joe blow have to suffer this???

Computers are just another retail item, no different than a television, hifi, car, potatoe, tomato, i think you get my point.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jinxy:

I have $10, right now, says you can't mess with my stereo, my car, my TV... or even my sweetie....

Wanna try it from there?????

Just watch my truck break down tomorrow now I opened my big mouth..... OK, and leave the sweetie alone!!!!
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    I have $10, right now, says you can't mess with my stereo, my car, my TV... or even my sweetie....
    Tiger,
    I could not even get close enough for $10. Give me enough and i could mess with all the above.

My point is, we all live in a world. We interact with people on a daily bases. Through life experience we learn who to trust and who not to. Cyberspace takes more than..............He looks like a dodgy basterd, i'll walk the other side of the road. You cant see him for a start.

But if I buy a television and have to keep re-aligning the antenna, I would take the dam thing back. Microsoft keep moving the goalposts and I cant take it back>
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Has anyone actually setup a "honeypot" (that is, just built a box, unpatched) to see if the system is compromised within the time identified?
    If someone can provide me with an unpatched copy of something like an XP Pro Evaluation (even an ISO of the Eval CD + Eval key will do), I will set it up on a partition and try this with my laptop when I get it in December. Maybe if a few of us do this we can provide a "local forecast" of how long it took in our respective regions, as well as where the attacks came from?

Anyone interested in collaborating on this?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by chsh
    Maybe if a few of us do this we can provide a "local forecast" of how long it took in our respective regions, as well as where the attacks came from?

Anyone interested in collaborating on this?
    This sounds like a good experiment. I have to send one of my laptops in for service and am planning on a complete reformat and reinstallation when I get it back. I would be willing to put an unpatched, basic installation of XP home on the net (Verizon DSL) to see how long it will stay uncomprimised.

But, some one would have to set up guide lines on when and how to check, if it is to be used to surf the net, or just left connected.

Note: I could put this laptop in the DMZ of my router so that the router firewall wouldn't interfer with the test.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Dead Man Walking
    Just for giggles when i get my new router in a week or two i will set up a xp home machine with default install see how it holds up then compare to win2k pro and win2k advanced server with IIS running just to see what happens. I'll post the results as soon as i have them

I have put (about 2 months ago) an unpatched fresh install of XP on the net and I had the blaster virus withing 10 minutes