Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scanner is better

which scanner is better

i have used many scanners.but i don"t know which was best in scanning.Can you help me?
    The scanner i have userd were
    x-scan3.1
    Fluxay
    nmap(but it cannot used in win)
    superscan
    n-stleth.
    In addition,my operating programme is win 2000
    thanks for you reading

Nmap would be my scanner of choice
    Install colinux on your windows machine and run it from there works like a charm
    plus you have the benefit of running other linux apps within your windows machine
    www.colinux.com
    \" I love fools and mistakes i\'m alway\'s making them \" (Charles Darwin)

for scanning and fingerprinting nmap is quite good
    nmap(but it cannot used in win)
    check their site, they released a newer version that doesnt break under SP2

and if you like xscan you may like nessus (newt if in windows) for vulnerability testing
    http://www.nessus.org/

You also might want to try GFI's N.S.S wich is a pretty decent windows based scanner
    N.S.S
    \" I love fools and mistakes i\'m alway\'s making them \" (Charles Darwin)

and if you like xscan you may like nessus (newt if in windows) for vulnerability testing
    You will def. like nessus. I love it! newt for windows is limited. with newt you are limited to your local subnet. For full capabilities a license will cost you $6,000. Not to mention if you want support, that will cost you another $1,200 for the first year. Ouch! http://www.tenablesecurity.com/newt.html

Yep... thats enough to build 6 or more pretty powerful Linux machines all running nessus... and a whole lot of other security tools. With linux you only pay for hardware and you have a HUGE community out there for support. http://www.nessus.org/

But nessus and newt are WAY more than port scanners...

Back to the original question: I too like nmap. It has all of the features that I'd need. However, for a quick scan I'll use superscan. It is pretty accurate too. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

nmap for basic scan.

nessus for vulnerability analysis.

you wont need more
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Nmap for port scans is clearly the way to go, Nessus is good for an open source vulnerability scanning tool. I also like Retina, but thats commerical and not cheap. NewT is fine, its a commercial version of Nessus that will run on Windows, you can download a freetrial of it, although there is something to be said for paying for what is in essence free software in the first place...

Also, bear in mind if you want to scan for application holes then you need an application scanning tool - Paros, Whisker (free) or WebInspect, AppScan (Commercial), for database a db scanning tool - AppDetective is by far the best, so be sure you are using a scanner for the right tasks.

Also, be aware that scanners miss a whole host of things so manual checks are required, this is more so with application scanning, but is still something to be wary of fur OS scans.

Also, if you are going to do any kind of pen testing with these things then be aware that they are as noisy as a noisy thing can be and will set of all kinds of IDS alarms unless you do some major tweaking.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

hum www.colinux.com yea good link but some real info would be nice to help him answer his question, it was still a good link .

the real link to coLinux is www.colinux.org

ah thank you.