Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funky taskbar icon

Question Funky taskbar icon

I am totally stumped at this one...and I really cant explain it better that to show a screen shot...
    The issue is this..on my home machine I get an icon that loads in the systray that flashes...it stays steadily on until I move the mouse or do something on the machine. The program (cant tell what the heck it is) loads and goes away. I watched the PC for a long time and finally was able to get a screen shot of the program. Any help would be REALLY helpful.
    I am on XP Pro and I ran spybot adaware counterspy and pestpatrol...
    ran AV of trendmicro avast symantec and mcafee
    I thought if I put a software firewall on, that would alert me to a programming requesting internet access--it didnt work--it never alerted me about the program--so maybe its not accessing the outside world.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    looking at the other icons on that toolbar I'm going to guess you have some kind of mail cop or something that probably steals the connection to the mailserver and points your mail client to 127.0.0.1 so that it can be virus scanned as it comes inbound a la Norton.

Did you install anything like that that protects your email?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you tried putting your mouse over it?

It looks like a Bluelight with a mail icon behind it (mail program?). Have you checked the registry to see what's there or used HiJackThis! to see what's loaded?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ya thats what I thought too--kinda like a police light
    I dont use anything other than eprompter to check my mail and I have seen the icon light up w/o eprompter on
    I dont use anything to scan email etc as its all web based (no outlook for me)
    When I make any computer keystroke it disappears so mousing over it will make it go away
    I took the screen shot from a remote session so it didnt detect the keystroke I guess
    Registry looks good nothing unusual-HJ shows no browser dlls etc or anything loading that shouldnt exist.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

HJ log

Here is my HJ log

I'm not seeing anything there. Another option would be to run something like ProcessExplorer (from SysInternals) and see if anything is in the taskmanager (that isn't showing up in TaskManager)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Are you capturing the HJT file remotely at the moment.....

It bothers me that you can have login.scr running at the same time as explorer.exe
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes, I am in Indianapolis now; the pc is in Florida

Get WinPatrol from BillP Studios and look in the startup items list, task list etc. The utility shows you the icon for apps and processes where they have one. This might tell you the name of the program, and you can take it from there.

That's a nifty prog. I had heard of it but never used it...