Learning bash commands

Thread: Learning bash commands

The Prancing Pirate

Learning bash commands

Does anyone know a good book on learning everyday, and also some more advanced bash shell commands, because I recently bought "Learning the bash shell" and even though it is quite good it is mainly focused on bash programming. I'm just looking for a book which will show me in an easy-to-understand way what each command does and how it can be used.

Thanks in advance,

J_K9
    TAZForum <---- click

This is what you probably want &gt;&gt;&gt; http://www.arizonaed.com/unix/rosetta.html

It will show you all of the commands with a brief description and also you can put in a command from say...windows command line and it will show you the *nix command to do the same thing.

-w00kie

Most of the 'commands' are just binary files on the OS that will run in bash or any other shell (tcsh, sh, ksh, csh, etc). There are some specific stuff to the bash shell (if/fi, for, etc) but it is pretty much the same as sh (Bourne-again shell). My recommendation on a place to start are to read the following:

man sh
    man bash

Know it sounds kind of simple, but there is alot of good information there.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

The Prancing Pirate
    Thanks to both of you, but I am specifically looking for a book on it because I find it much easier to learn from books. (Ooops, maybe this thread is in the wrong forum, ahem....). The info you posted was good though, so thank you. Does anyone else know of any books?

Cheers,

J_K9
    TAZForum <---- click