Password Protected PST
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password Protected PST

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Password Protected PST

Any Microsoft Outlook security experts out there?

I have the foresight to do regular backups of my files, so when my computer died it wasn't that big a deal to me. It just flat out died one day while I was out. No juice at all. Nada. Nothing. I thought the power supply would be a slam dunk but replacing the power supply did nothing. So- now I have to keep troubleshooting to determine which component is dead.

In the meantime though I am using my backed up files from a different computer. The only problem is that I can't access my Outlook PST file. I had the file password protected on the computer. I know the password, but that doesn't seem to matter. I have tried to open the file and I have tried to import from the file and I am repeatedly told I don't have access rights, blah, blah, blah.

Does anyone know how to make it ask me for the username / password credentials or something so I can "unlock" it or is there a way to simply remove the password protection? I realize that to some this may look like one of those veiled attempts at learning to hack someone else's email, but I think I have enough brownie points and respect around here for people to realize my request is genuine.

If you have a clue but don't want to share it with the less-morally grounded masses feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Try logging in as administrator and taking ownership of the file...............that might work?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    You know? I thought of that myself. Even tried it. For some reason it didn't work until YOU suggested it and I tried it again.

Problem solved. :-)

Thanks

Nice comeback, not sure if I want to chance a clever retort, but there is a product that will remove the password in the pst itself. Elcomsoft. I havenít used this product on pstís, but their other stuff is pretty good.
    [glowpurple]The bottom line is the bottom line[/glowpurple]

My IT director walked out walked out with no notice and burned his 2003 inbox on the way out. Luckily, I had been duping his drive when his attitude went south and now have a copy of his PST. Bad thing is that it is locked. I tried the eval version of the pst cracker from elcomsoft. The app said "Sure, we can crack this, We have the password right here. But the password is tooooo long for us to show you with the eval version,,, Whip out that visa, boy, and put some dough down.."
    so, that is kind of where I am at. Anyone know of another route to crack a 2003 outlook pst?
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

AOs Resident Troll
    This is an old post!

Did you try what NIHIL suggested...appears to have worked

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Yes I did try that and no luck....
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Try it again.... Tony said it didn't work first time but it did second.... You're desperate enough to try that aren't you...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, It beats breaking out the tape library....

AOs Resident Troll
    fraggin

So did it work?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer