Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Password Protected PST

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Yeah- I had already done that to no avail, but I tried it again when Nihil suggested it and I was in.

I assumed ownership of the file using the Administrator account and was able to access it. But, in my case I actually KNEW the password, I just couldn't get it to accept it because I was not using the right account. So, assuming ownership may not do the trick in this case.

Good luck!

AOs Resident Troll
    Well.....

Guess it depends on the users password the...so as admin...I would change the users password..then log into the machine with the username and new password...and then try and access the pst file??

Not really sure if that will work...but I am stubborn...worst case.........and I REALLY needed access I would call MS and pay the 245USD and get them to help...if they can or start cataloging that tape library

and restore the mailbox from a previous backup.before the user did what ever s\he did

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi. May I suggest something. Naturally, this is completely depended on many factors and may not even work. But it is worth a try.

Call the person up and ask them to unlock the pst file and give you the emails that you need. If you don't know what you are looking for, ask them if they can clean out any emails they feel are personal and hand over business related emails back to your organization.

The passing over of business emails from predesssor to successor is very common practice. If this person is of IT Director level and a real professional, they will understand. If he asks how you got his pst file, just tell him you have to restore it from backups. The emails belong to your company and you have every right to go into them for business purposes if you need them.

Hi,
    I remember reading some time ago that software exists to convert the .PST to later versions of outlook. The down/up side of this is that the password protection is removed.

Hope it helps

Moose467 is right. I have done this before. I forget the name of the program but it upgrades the version of the PST and has a side-effect of removing the password.

Taking ownership again did not work. Could have something to do with the PST file being moved from one workstation to a network server, could have fubarred the ntfs permissions.
    I used outkey to crack the pw........
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

pst19upg.exe is the file I think you need, if you can find it!