Thread: Problem after installing SUSE Personal

Problem after installing SUSE Personal

Hello, this is my first time installing a linux os and today SUSE linux was installed on my pc without any problem. However, when I reboot and choose to boot Windows, I get error saying that ntld (forgot the exact name :P) is missing and it refused to load Windows. I am using Windows XP Pro. Can any one help me? Thanks!

NT Loader got pissed at you for using a Superior OS. Don't worry, tell it to go to hell.

I'm pretty shitty with NTLDR though so for that, I have no idea how too reload it back on there, I've never had this problem in a dual boot setting so i've never have too reload NT Loader.

are you using the linux boot loader or the windows one and extracting the linux boot info to a file
    because it is possible you damaged the mbr when installing the linux boot loader
    The only thing i could recommend is a repair install then start over and use the windows boot loader instead of the linux one.

ok shoot me but ive had no probs with either bootloader but the windows one was easier for me

The boot loader is auto installed by the suse linux. Where can I get a windows boot loader? Now I am thinking of removing the suse linux and delete that partition, will it solve my problem? How can I fix the mbr?

Delete Windows.

fixmbr

I already deleted the partition containing the suse linux. Now when I start my computer there is a program call grub loaded. How can I remove it? I will try the fixmbr command later. Thanks a lot.

Just found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595 which shows how to create a WinXP boot disk. I shall try it out.

The MBR is where Grub is, fix that and you fix the problem. But you're sstill left with one in that you're now using Windows only. If you read the manuals that come with SUSE you wouldn't have had this problem. You install XP first, then you install SUSE, and Grub goes on the MBR and you boot Windows. I've never seen, nor had, a problem with that configuration on a box. I'm not sure how you did but it was probably user based.

Hmm, I can't get the fixmbr command to work. It seem that this command is unavailable, is there other ways to fix the mbr? Just now I managed to start my WinXP using the boot disk. But after I removed the boot disk and reboot, it say that ntldr is missing. My WinXP is already installed on C:\, then I create a partition D:\ and install suse here. Maybe I done something wrongly...?