Thread: Best back up system?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Best back up system?

Hi, i was just wondering what the best program to back up your hard drive is? I preferably want a back up that is cheap or free! and i just need to back up certain programs and files so, one with a drop and drag system or something similar would be nice. if you can recommend anything I would appreicate it. thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Why not just burn them ? Or buy an external hard drive or buy some online space and store them on there or if you have a gmail account you can create a virtual 1 gig hard drive and store it on there (except they don't accept every file format) .....but if you're gonna update those back-ups, my choice would be a small 10 or 20 gig hard drive....
    O.G at A.O

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    that sounds like a pretty good idea... i like the gmail idea :-) i didnt think about that lol. but, id u can think of any cheap or free programs that u know of that would be helpful too. thanx
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I used to put extra copies of important stuff on my webspace, but I would recommend something more physical you can put in a safe place. One day my hard drive died, and a week later my host deleted my account(including my backup files before I could download them again) by some miscommunication. So much for my backups...

Now I use an external hard drive with everything on it.

The two cheapest options are disc media like DVD-RW and CD-RW. Obviously which to use depends on the size of your backups.

The more you back up, the more you will need in space. You can go the tape route, or the spare HDD route. If you are using this for backup instead of disaster recovery, you may want to stick with only doing the things you need (data only, not apps). If you are doing it for disaster recovery, grab another drive of equal size to back up to, and then if necessary check out drive mirroring.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

if you wanna backup your files. Try to use Norton Ghost, Drive Image.
    This will help you to backup your hardrive, by burning the save or backup HD to a CD.
    If something goes wrong in your system this may you recover your HD and files also.
    I hope this helps.

i dont know which system you have but if you have xp pro start>all programs>accessories>system tools>backups

good luck