Thread: Using Nokia Cell Phone as modem problemo!

Question Using Nokia Cell Phone as modem problemo!

Hello Friends,

I have problems installing my Nokia Cell Phone 7250i as a modem. Here is the details:

I am from Jaipur India, 21 years of age, my cell is 2 month old. I use Hutch Rajasthan cell - service. Recently I subscribed to HutchAccess that provides Net Connection via the Cell phone acting as a mobile.

I installed PC Suite for Windows Xp, and DKU-5 cable to connect the cell to PC USB port. Installed the DKU-5 drivers and USB to Serial port drivers.

I can happily use the Pc Suite for transfering galery, apps and other thing. BUT when i click on Control Panels->Nokia Modem Options->Add New It scans around and shows no compatible phone is detected. Why?

I use Intel 810E motherboard, P-IV 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD.

I guess my problem is with USB controller driver, where can I get it?

In view of this problem I installed the cell and drivers on a Windows 98 machine and everything goes fine, modem is installed and on dialing up it says Disconnected: Modem is not responding. On Modem Diagnosis it says Port Already Opened.

Please help me out. Otherwise suggest whether I should rather buy IrDA receiver than the DKU-5 Cables. I dont have bluetooth on this cell.

Thanks in advance,
    Zeeshan Alam

Regal Making Handler
    I cant be specific, as i have no experience of you cell network. All i can suggest is you speak to your cell provider, to make sure that you are subscribed to their internet access package,(this is different than the standard gprs package) and that your phone is configuered correctly. You will aslo nead the dialup network settings.

I use vodafone and they have a software package that makes the connection for you. It took me some time and a phone call to vodafone befor i could get my cell to work correctly.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Jinxy-
    ive been kind of wondering about using cells as a modem. Im not really looking to subscribe, but just curious about the diferent dl/ul speeds, costs, advantages/disadvantages, ect. Im sure i could just check google, but id rather hear a real persons opinion on mobile internet

-z3

Regal Making Handler
    z21200m3,
    Using gprs access with a cell, gives much the same speeds as you would expect to get with a 56k modem.
    Cost depends on the package available with your service provider. I can only speak for what i have had in the past. This consisted of a fixed monthly phone tariff with a gprs tariff added, this incured no extra cost. However you were billed no the amount of data in Kb sent and recieved.

Just recieving email 2/3 times a week and the occasional surf added about £5/10 on top of my normal monthly phone bill. My package included an amount of free kb, which if i did not use one month would be carried over to the next month.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I've been able to use a Nokia 3360 as a modem through its infrared port. Connected it to a Mac and it worked...slow but it worked. I wouldn't recommend connecting to the internet through your phone as a modem as it will use up your minutes (= You spending a ton of money) and it will be slow. I have a Motorola MPX200 which comes with Pocket Internet Explorer...and I use that if I ever need to go online on the go...although I usually use my laptop and any available hotspot. Connecting to the internet with your phone could really screw up your phone bill so be careful.

you can consult your cellular network provider for internet connection subscription and for configuration settings.i know they're the one to consult before u can actually go online.but thats a lot expensive though.
    If your curious, your probably interested.

Regal Making Handler
    I wouldn't recommend connecting to the internet through your phone as a modem as it will use up your minutes
    That does not apply to a gprs package, i have never been billed for the length of time online, as it is an always on system. I just got billed on the amount of data sent and recieved.

That does not apply to a gprs package, i have never been billed for the length of time online, as it is an always on system. I just got billed on the amount of data sent and recieved.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you are connecting to the internet using whatever browser the phone has installed in it right? If you use the browser on your phone, and connect to the internet through your phone using the GPRS network, then you get charged for whatever data u use, or whatever package you have purchased. If you use your phone as a modem, you get charged as if you were making a phone call. The length of the "phone call" depends on how long you're connected to the internet and if its done often, it can run up the minutes very quickly.