Thread: BASE 1.0 Release

BASE 1.0 Release

A heads up for those who used ACID or who have since used the BASE fork of it:
    The BASE Project Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of
    the 1.0 release. This release includes many bug fixes over previous
    releases of BASE and ACID. It also is the first release to include the
    Flow-Portscan preprocessor patch. It also has support for multiple
    languages, with 11 languages included in the package. It also has a
    fully functional user authentication and role-basing system.

The website for this release is http://base.secureideas.net and
    downloads are available on Sourceforge at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/secureideas .

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us at
    base@secureideas.net

Thanks
    The BASE Project Team
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Excellent. I know what I'll be updating shortly..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Maybe a stupid question... but:

Why would someone use BASE instead of ACID?
    Is it really better? Why?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    ACID is defunct.(no longer supported) BASE is supported and an live project

'Nuff said.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Like I said... stupid question...

Thanks for answering it anyway! I never visited the ACID site... I just installed it with a walkthrough from snort.org. I suppose it doesn't hurt to switch over too...

Thanks MsM!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

In addition to the project status, BASE also has around 12 active translators at the moment. 11 Languages are in the release, with plans for another 4 or 5 shooting about on the dev list. It also has Flow-Portscan preprocessor support. Mostly it's a stability thing, and the project will continue, but a 1.0 milestone was important.

The team is actually trying to co-ordinate with all the snort sources that referred to ACID before and get them to update their links to BASE instead.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult

Can I run BASE along with ACID? I want to switch over, but how would I go about doing it?
    Should I just start fresh?

Should I install and configure BASE and then just remove ACID?

I'm fairly new to SNORT, but I've been hardcore into learning it the past several months.

Looks like ACID has been outdated for some time now.

I wonder why the walkthroughs on the snort site don't have you install BASE instead.

Proof the Open Source community has dropped Acid They'd rather Free BASE I should try it out, I'm DAMN tired of MySQL at school.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Can I run BASE along with ACID?
    Yep.

I want to switch over, but how would I go about doing it?
    There are database upgrade scripts. They are PHP apps, so you can run them in tandem, just keep them in separate directories (though even in the same dir it shouldn't be a problem).

Should I just start fresh? Should I install and configure BASE and then just remove ACID?
    They are rapidly becoming different apps, this is probably your best bet.

I'm fairly new to SNORT, but I've been hardcore into learning it the past several months.
    Looks like ACID has been outdated for some time now.
    I wonder why the walkthroughs on the snort site don't have you install BASE instead.
    Well, all these points really come down to the fact that BASE started up around September, we've been pushing for availability type information and fixing bugs more than anything else. The development team is just now beginning to look at documentation. If you would like to contribute to the project as a technical writer, or anything, please do stop by the BASE site and check out the forums on sourceforge (or PM me here I will give you the contact info for the head developer). We could use people who are interested in that sort of thing.

At any rate, if you just want docs and use stuff, it's basically identical to ACID, though the configuration file is a big larger and different.
    Chris Shepherd