Thread: looking for a safe ebook compiler

looking for a safe ebook compiler

hi all,

i was browsing on a site and found some interesting ebooks.
    they were password protected (that made them interesting), so i dissassembled them to see if i could easily retrieve the password.

well, it took me a whole 15 minutes to crack 12 ebooks!
    this could have saved me 12 x $10 in 15 minutes if i was interested in the content.

i have emailed the web-site owner, and he told me they were compiled with some free ebook compiler.
    he asked me if i knew a good ebook compiler which is protected better, and i promised him i would ask around, so here i am

if anyone knows about a secure ebook compiler, please let me know, i really want to help this guy!

thanks in advance,

kind regards,

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    I really don't think there is such a thing as a "secure" ebook complier especially when free. I know wordperfect comples it for and allows you to password protect it<last time I checked>. I peronally haven't tried to crack my pdf files but hey that is interesting Have a look here to try out some stuff:::

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/sy...wpdftools.html

This one isn't free but is a good start::
    http://www.locklizard.com

thanks for your reply..

i have already "solved" that guys problem by telling him to use winzip to password protect the files,since to my knowledge the only way to get past it is to brute-force.
    he was already using passwords with a length of minimal 10 characters, so i also told him to use symbols in his passwords, and to change the passwords once in several months, this way he would have a minimal chance of users distributing the passwords, and to crack a winzip file with more then 10 character password using symbols as well, would also not be worth it!

thanks for the links tho, i have already checked some other ebook compilers myself, but they were also easy to crack, even the compilers itself (they were trial versions).
    so that is not an option as far as i can tell.

i will check the links you gave me, perhaps there is one which is better secured.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Hey no problem even though I didn't really help all that much.
    thanks for the links tho, i have already checked some other ebook compilers myself, but they were also easy to crack, even the compilers itself (they were trial versions).
    so that is not an option as far as i can tell.
    /me walks off and laughs!

well, to be honest, i didn't even knew about password protecting pdf files... i was under the assumption that all ebook compilers created an executable which was password protected...
    o well, learned something again