Women - can't live with them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women - can't live with them.

********** |ceWriterguy

Women - can't live with them.

Mrs |ce decided it was time to get festive in the |3lack|ce household. It's the holiday season after all. To add to my newfound/forced Christmas season cheer, she downloaded a nifty little screensaver to my (baby, 1st love, don't f*** with this box) machine and installed it. Thinking she'd done me a service, she put it up to activate - since I'm usually at this desk for hours at a time, it was a few days before I left the computer idle long enough for it to kick in...

So yesterday morning between hold 'em tourneys, I got up to answer the call of nature and get myself another cup of coffee... I start hearing one of the themes from the Nutcracker playing in the background, the annoyingly loud noises emerging from my study like an unwanted fart. I rushed back in, saw the screensaver, growled a bit, deactivated it, switched it off permanently, then went to uninstall...

"You do not have permission to access this file." Yah, right. Bullshirt. run-cmd-at xx:xx /interactive taskmanager... time for the system rights trick I learned right here (Much thanks White Scorpion!).

So I run through the procedure, grant myself full system rights, uninstall the bloody screensaver - noticed in the uninstall that it's made by 'Wild Tangent.' Yah, ok, being the good spyware killer I am, I know that they're notorious... loadup spybot, kill the wild tangent that's rampant in my machine, rock right on.. no huhu, then reboot to get back to my normal rights.

Call it a sixth sense, but I could feel something very wrong as win XP slooooooowly reloaded itself and brought up my login screens. I got frisky, decided to login to Administrator and see wtf was going on... entered my password. Invalid. ouch!

entered it again. nope, no dice. So I login to my normal user account and did a quick check through net command...sure enough, the password to my Administrator account had been changed on 11/4. A quick check with Mrs. |ce, who'd heard me growling and came in to check on me, revealed that this was the same day she'd installed the screensaver. *fume*

Ok, time for a bit more drastic stuff. I'll reboot, bring it to command only, go into SAM and fix the damn password....

WRONG!

Box reboots again - this time it's locked. No command mode, no safe mode, no nothing, and it's telling me that it's missing the user accounts file and to contact my system administrator. "I AM the system administrator you piece of scrap iron!"

Long story short - don't get the bloody 'Holiday Screensaver by Wild Tangent' if you're that moronic to do it after all this - and tell your minions not to do it either - The fix involved a full reinstall of XP (no repair option, I didn't have the admin password to get console), then hasty migration of old settings from the backup files I keep to get me back to where I was 3 months ago (bye bye sp2, bye bye dvd decoders *fume*).

Laugh, Laugh really hard at my misery. I hope Mrs. |ce learned her lesson. I sure did, she just lost all install/delete rights forever on my baby.

[edit] As a postscript, I really should add that Mrs |ce made it up to me. Steak dinner at Outback, and a good hour-long massage soothed the savage beast, topped off by a promise never to try to install anything new on my baby ever again (heh she can't anyway.) [/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Well knowing (soon to be) Mrs. Aden love Christmas i'm emailing here right away hoping it's not to late. But the whole adding of the no install/uninstall restriction I'm probally going to have to do that soon.

See.. you were going about it all wrong!

You have to teach people not to touch your computer... kind of like you teach your dog not to leave the yard with an electric fence... (added power of course... the default it WAY too low!)

(not making negative references towards women... the dog thing just came out from my psych class... you can teach anyone not to mess with your PC.)

See what you do is get yourself one of those joke mice that shock when you touch it and click the button. They might click it once or twice... but they'll figure out that when they touch the mouse... it'll shock them! Viola... no more messing with your PC.

Just make sure to switch them out when you leave your PC.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CES10453.html

http://www.zymetrical.com/product.asp?3=331
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Load software onto a computer...............que?

My wife wouldn't even dream of it...................she has a husband to perform such menial tasks............

/Off Topic

In the second link in phish~'s post, I can recommend the radio controlled farting machine..............took one into work a while back..........it kept the lads in network support amused for hours

/

Cheers

Regal Making Handler
    Dam, i let my daughter read this post. Now she has an evil grin on her face..............I feel a stitch up coming my way.LOL
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Phishy-

your links ain't workin'
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Should be good now... I hope. Hmm... they worked earlier... I tested them...

<shrugs>
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

So I told the girlfriend your story and I think im in the dog house. Women are strange perhaps i'll wait till next week.

Regal Making Handler
    Women are strange perhaps i'll wait till next week.
    Is it just me? or does that sound like a preposal in the making?

What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

********** |ceWriterguy
    LMAO

Phishy, I've tried negative reenforcement, positive reenforcement, sleep deprivation, the works. Nothing seems to work.... hmm. Maybe that mouse...

Jinxy - I didn't even tell my own daughter about this one, knowing her, I'd end up making a trip up to NJ to have to fix her system too...

Aden, let us know how/when/if you manage to get out of the doghouse, and I tend to agree with Jinxy's idea... waiting till next week..
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!