The most annoying thing in the world!

Thread: The most annoying thing in the world!

Angry The most annoying thing in the world!

At home I have a XP 2100+ that was running win2k3 server.. and running it well. However I have changed to 2000 pro and connected to the net to download the updates from M$ update website.

I have adsl 256/64 kb. I cannot maintain a steady connection for long enough to download the patches, not to mention I got 2 virii, one being the blaster virus. I know I shouldnt put an unpatched machine on the net but it is the only way for me to get the updates I need.

Now at home I have a win2k pro machine with "some" patches on it and the others I need I just can't get heh. It is the most annoying thing in the world.... If I lived in a building high enough I would have thrown my monitor out the window.

Banned
    How about installing a temporary firewall to stop the virii from connecting or going from behind a router.... simple enough, ehh?

I had kerio personal firewall .. I have no problem with the virus now that only happened when I wasn't around .. but the firewall didnt help. I don't have a router either

My only problem is I cant download the patches I need because my connection keeps ****ing up ..

Banned
    Agh, doesn't MS have a continue? When I was back on 56k and had to dl SP1, I remember I got kicked off a few times and was able to restart it from half way or so... anything like that still around?

yeh the patches that you successfully download .. stay on your machine. and you can install them ...... I'll work on it when i go home this afternoon ....

So anyway .. does anyone have any ideas of anything I can do to prevent my connection to the internet from stuffing up before I download the patches ... any services I can disable or anything ???? any help would be appreciated

thanks

A hardware firewall, or fdisk. One of those should do the trick.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    You can get most of MS patches on a CD but u have to order it...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

fyrewall: you're on aDSL, so you shouldn't be dropping off like that.

NOTE: This might be different for you... I'm in the US...

I have DSL and my ISP requires me to authenticate with them via uid and password using CHAP.
    You can do this one of three ways.

the modem itself
    using a broadband router (my method)
    using the software that they should have sent you

Each of the above are nothing more than a PPPoE client.
    Sometimes you just have them built into the hardware instead of on your PC.

You have a setup similar to this:

phone line --> aDSL modem --> ethernet to PC1 ?

Can you log into the modem? You should be able to see something in your logs about the connection dropping. You need to see if the problem is on the "customer side" or on the TelCo side.

Call your ISP and have them test your line. They can also monitor your line for problems. This happened to me not too long ago and the "switch had timing problems" on the TelCo side and it kept dropping my connection.

Also, make sure that you have the filters on the end of every telephone line you have hooked into a modem, fax or voice line. Without those filters, you can get interference and that might be causing you to drop off. I think now they are installing them at the dmark. But when we first got setup (5+ years ago), we had to put them in ourselves on each phone line.

More info about your setup would be useful... or, call your ISP if you are unsure.

As far as the patches... you should have ordered a CD with the latest service packs and patches.
    Or, at least been behind a firewall (software or hardware).

If you had kerio personal firewall running while you got infected... I'd look at your rules (misconfiguration) or ditch it all together.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Better yet stick with throwing it out the window. Trust me destroying things M$ is the best anger management!

Well I have a fully patched XP laptop at home .. which I have the modem connected to. From there using internet connection sharing I can access the internet on my unpatched 2k machine. I just downloaded SP4 for 2000 with no problems so that may have fixed it .. I will try more when i go home

Phish: it doesnt just drop off (disconnect me). I am still connected but I just cant open up a website or download anything .