Thread: Tracking a person through their printer

Lightbulb Tracking a person through their printer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pcworld/118664

This is a very interesting article that explains how some printer companies secretly encode information into each page printed. In order for each printout to be traced to the exact printer

According to experts, several printer companies quietly encode the serial number and the manufacturing code of their color laser printers and color copiers on every document those machines produce. Governments, including the United States, already use the hidden markings to track counterfeiters.
    Very interesting...

can't believe it....

oh my god

where is my ***** Privacy!

big deal..

I would be more concerned about the fact that your mobile phone is the bestr tracking device lawenforcement agencies need.. it helps them track you within less than a meter of your location.. so long as it is turned on..

And your concerned about a serial number on a piece of paper.. fi.. **** I would be more concerned when the government requires retailers to supply them with the serial numbers of ALL equipment sold along with names and addresses.. then your privacy is being invaded..

Walmart would have a bigger record of your spending habits than the government would hope to of your printing habits..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Und3ertak3r - I think even when there turned off they still talk to the base stations and stuff, if you ever leave a phone turned off next to your speaker it'll still talk phones have ram and timers that need to remain powered, also the capacitors within the phone probably hold enough charge to keep it in a on-ish state even when you've turned it off

i2c

Well yes your right.. Fully charge the phone battery.. then turn the phone OFF throw it in a draw for two weeks.. see how much charge is in the battery..

Mine only chat to the base when the display says they are on... well sofar anyway
    but once on.. there is a hell of a lot of talk
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

The trouble I have with this issue is that these companies are willingling and enthsiastically getting into the business of identity management. Why would they bother? What's their incentive? And how much has it added to the cost this equipment for them to add the technology for this?

Call me paranoid, but I don't think fighting counterfeit money is the only thing at work here . . .

The trouble I have with this issue is that these companies are willingling and enthsiastically getting into the business of identity management. Why would they bother? What's their incentive? And how much has it added to the cost this equipment for them to add the technology for this?
    10x brichards

and yup if they bothered so much to make that technology... they can easily track you
    and why they did not "notify" "the customers" of the "feature".

and who told you they don't have coding system for their codes... like code identify the one fabricant.. another for the user
    and think that in 3-4 years with the government support, the # of companies making printers will be limited as there will be a company dominating the market...so finding you will be far easier

consider the opposit case.... instead of searching for all lists of manufacturers they can use this to track one organization for example...

don't tell me they bothered all the way, just to have fun and give us brillant papers.... of course they have something in mind